Timothy Bradley vs. Ruslan Provodnikov very similar to....

Taylor vs. Chavez I

15 replies to this topic

#1 lee140

lee140

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Has anyone else thought about just how similar the Bradley/Provodnikov fight was to the first Meldrick Taylor vs. Julio Cesar Chavez fight in 1990? Consider the following:

-  Both fights were in mid-March (March 17 and March 16, respectively)
-  Both fights featured aggressive boxers (Taylor and Bradley) with fast hands against skilled fighters (Chavez and Ruslan) with power
-  Neither Taylor nor Bradley are known for their power and both have been accused of being overly aggressive
-  There was severe damage inflicted on both Taylor and Bradley's eye sockets early in the fight
-  Both Taylor and Bradley were leading on the scorecards coming into the 12th and final round
-  There was a knockdown scored in the closing moments of both 12th rounds from the fighter behind on points
-  Both Taylor and Bradley rose from these knockdowns unsteady with less than 3 seconds to go (but with vastly different outcomes!)

I know there are also alot of differences between the fighters and the fights as well. No one is ever going to say that Provodnikov has the same strengths and skills that Chavez had. Bradley was not an Olympic medalist like Taylor was plus he was getting rocked and staggered alot worse than Taylor was in the early going as well as the middle rounds. Still, there was a very familiar (not to mention downright eerie) feeling watching this fight unfold and being reminded of when I was 16 sitting in my sister's living room in 1990 watching Taylor vs. Chavez I. But in a way it was sweet redemption. Nothing against Chavez or Ruslan; they are both excellent fighters. But I am fans of both Taylor and Bradley through and through. I will always say that Richard Steele (or maybe STEAL since he stole the fight from Meldrick) made a huge mistake when he stopped the Chavez fight. I saw him a few months after that on an ESPN FIGHT card with two CLUB FIGHTERS where one got dropped hard. He got up at about '5' and Steele asked him twice "Are you ok?" The guy responded weakly and then Steele asked him to WALK TO HIM.....and then let the fight CONTINUE!!! I will forever suspect that Richard was helping Don King out by protecting one of his cash cows from losing that unbeaten record. Funny how Chavez accused Steele of being unjust a few years later in the first Frankie Randall fight. So when the referee in this particular fight allowed a VERY hurt Bradley to see the final bell and claim his rightful victory on the scorecards, I was able for a fleeting second to feel how it would have been for Meldrick to be granted that same courtesy and get that split decision over Chavez that he so richly deserved.

I just hope that now another similarity does not take place and that Bradley starts a rapid decline after such a tough and bruising affair the way Taylor did after that first Chavez fight. That would be a shame. But he is only human after all so I long for his safety foremost.

Edited by lee140, 19 March 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#2 neometalx9

neometalx9

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

after taking that punishment im wondering if bradley is gonna be the same.

#3 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,926 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hurting him and knocking him down will be a lot easier from now til the end of his career.

#4 neometalx9

neometalx9

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

View Postboyakasha!, on 20 March 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Hurting him and knocking him down will be a lot easier from now til the end of his career.

true, one does not simply take that kind of punishment...

#5 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postneometalx9, on 20 March 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

after taking that punishment im wondering if bradley is gonna be the same.

Bradley has had the crap beat out of him for two straight fights plus the ankle injury he suffered against Manny as well. If him and Peterson rematched I would take Peterson easily.

#6 RAWDOGG69STYLE

RAWDOGG69STYLE

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Family...Boxing...MMA...Raiders...Lakers...Drinking...Blazing...Traveling

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

View Postleee, on 20 March 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Bradley has had the crap beat out of him for two straight fights plus the ankle injury he suffered against Manny as well. If him and Peterson rematched I would take Peterson easily.

I dont think he defeats tim let alone easily...thats a lil bit of a stretch...provodnikov hits like a mule and takes a hellaueva shot...hes young and from siberia...id pick ruslan to beat tha piss outta peterson!

#7 BoBilo

BoBilo

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:45 AM

One fight and Ruslan Prod is a world beater? What is everyone smoking?

#8 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I said Peterson. Bradley;'s style is very hard to sustain for long since he has little power. I like how Peterson throws his punches these days and he fights a lot smarter and more defensive then Ruslan, I think he has improved where as Bradley has gone down.

#9 Smarts

Smarts

The Go To Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostRAWDOGG69STYLE, on 21 March 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

I dont think he defeats tim let alone easily...thats a lil bit of a stretch...provodnikov hits like a mule and takes a hellaueva shot...hes young and from siberia...id pick ruslan to beat tha piss outta peterson!

Lol. This made me laugh. Being from Siberia.

#10 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,926 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostSmarts, on 21 March 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Lol. This made me laugh. Being from Siberia.
That made me laugh as well.

Siberia baby!

#11 RAWDOGG69STYLE

RAWDOGG69STYLE

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Family...Boxing...MMA...Raiders...Lakers...Drinking...Blazing...Traveling

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostBoBilo, on 21 March 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

One fight and Ruslan Prod is a world beater? What is everyone smoking?

Nobodys sayin ruslan being able to defeat peterson makes him a p4p cantitdate but tha kids pretty much at his peak...hes strong as an ox and takes a great punch his staminas solid...he is a MF'er for anybody at 140 or 147...i would give my right testicle to watch khan vs provodnikov for a title at any weight khan wishes here in socal...that is a fight where khan would be sent into permanent retirement ala nasim hamed never to be heard from again...boxings most overrated graveyard aka boxings abyss!

#12 Monzon

Monzon

Monzon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostRAWDOGG69STYLE, on 21 March 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Nobodys sayin ruslan being able to defeat peterson makes him a p4p cantitdate but tha kids pretty much at his peak...hes strong as an ox and takes a great punch his staminas solid...he is a MF'er for anybody at 140 or 147...i would give my right testicle to watch khan vs provodnikov for a title at any weight khan wishes here in socal...that is a fight where khan would be sent into permanent retirement ala nasim hamed never to be heard from again...boxings most overrated graveyard aka boxings abyss!

No way is Khan going to fight Provonikov soon.  And why does anyone want to see Khan go into retirement.  He may lose fights, but I don't think any of his losing efforts have been short on entertainment value (save maybe the Prescott fight, which wasn't much of a fight at all).  I'm pretty indifferent to Khan (I'm not a fan or a hater), but I'll watch his fights in a minute because win or lose they are generally entertaining.  I hope he continues to engage in entertaining fights.

#13 neometalx9

neometalx9

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostMonzon, on 22 March 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

No way is Khan going to fight Provonikov soon.  And why does anyone want to see Khan go into retirement.  He may lose fights, but I don't think any of his losing efforts have been short on entertainment value (save maybe the Prescott fight, which wasn't much of a fight at all).  I'm pretty indifferent to Khan (I'm not a fan or a hater), but I'll watch his fights in a minute because win or lose they are generally entertaining.  I hope he continues to engage in entertaining fights.

true, its funny to see that dude get wobbled and on the verge of getting ktfo every time it happens..

#14 msp1518

msp1518

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Rule of thumb... Do NOT fight guys from Siberia. Holy fuck.

Watched it three times now. It's exhilarating. No doubt these guys will never ever be the same. Tim Bradley still lost the Pac-man fight. this doesn't change that. But I do have new found mad-respect for the man.

I don't think anyone wants to let their guy in with the Siberian Rocky.

#15 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Siberia

#16 RAWDOGG69STYLE

RAWDOGG69STYLE

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yeah khans got heart hes entertaining but everytime he fights a live dogg he gets batterd all over tha ring...yet he is tha golden child whom every fighter in tha gbp 140 tourney may hv tha luxary of fighting if they win even though garcia and peterson hv already beaten him...its comical to me this cat is held in such high regard when hes a chinny pakistani kid...i loved it when garcias dad said he had never seen a pakistani kid who could fight then danny ktfo khan and didnt gv him a rematch because he knew khan wouldnt hv given him one...throw a dude like that to tha wolves and let him sink or swim.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users