361 replies to this topic

#1 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

According to kim via manager cam dunkin.

April 14. Pretty sure its at 135. Very interesting...

#2 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness and unconsciousness.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Pretty ballsy for Gamboa to go after the biggest, hardest-hitting lightweight out there when he's been fighting at featherweight. Tough fight for both guys. Seems like Rios could end it at any point during those twelve, no matter how far behind he is.

#3 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Brandon is going to become a star here. Gamboa's athletic gifts will make this a fantastic fight and then he will get stopped late.

#4 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

I love it... I got gamboa... to me he's something special and I think he's meant for bigger and better things. This will be one of those fights where he proves to people how special he really is.

#5 ScotTheRoc

ScotTheRoc

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

View Postprodigious1, on 16 February 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Pretty ballsy for Gamboa to go after the biggest, hardest-hitting lightweight out there when he's been fighting at featherweight. Tough fight for both guys. Seems like Rios could end it at any point during those twelve, no matter how far behind he is.

Agreed 100%.  Anyone know if this is just a one fight deal, or was Gamboa planning to move straight to lightweight anyway?

#6 ScotTheRoc

ScotTheRoc

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 16 February 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Brandon is going to become a star here. Gamboa's athletic gifts will make this a fantastic fight and then he will get stopped late.

You would think that Gamboa's team would want something in the contract that would limit how much weight Rios could put on the day of the fight.  I think Gamboa gets stopped late in the fight as well, but if they allow Rios to come in at 150+ like he's done before, Gamboa gets absolutely brutalized late.

#7 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

I think early doors, gamboa wont be able to miss. But how long can he keep going and can he keep brandon off him? Rios will be much bigger in the ring as he always is.

I know it was katsidis, but guerrero and ricky burns stepped up in weight and were able to handle the supposed bigger, stronger guy. Rios takes that comparison to another level obviously, but i guess some guys can handle it.

Great fight with two different ways of looking at it. I think gamboa can do it despite the big jump.

Edited by perfectjet, 16 February 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#8 ScotTheRoc

ScotTheRoc

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

I just wonder if Gamboa is gonna have enough pop to faze Rios.  Either way, major props to Gamboa for stepping up for this fight!

#9 GymRat24

GymRat24

My rat ain't boxing.....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Wow this sounds great!. I got Gamboa by UD.

#10 DJA

DJA

Building a working margin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Stoked as hell for this fight.  Props to TR for making this fight and both guys for taking this.

I keep thinking about the Acosta fight.  Acosta is a damn good fighter and fought brilliantly and still got taken out.  Gamboa might be better than Acosta, but he's naturally smaller and I have a hard time seeing how he can KO Rios, or last long enough to win 7 rounds.  Because I think that Rios will hurt Gamboa if and when he gets close to him.  I'm gonna enjoy going back and watching their past fights to try to size this one up some more.

#11 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

This is the type of fight we don't get much of anymore.   Two undefeated fighters, massively hyped by HBO, who usually get to slum it up in showcase fights, fighting each other.  I love it.  Hopefully this is the official beginning of the Herschman era at HBO, and it's a good one.

#12 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostOliver, on 16 February 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Hopefully this is the official beginning of the Herschman era at HBO, and it's a good one.

it def seems like he is putting his foot down on the BS. He was also saying that if the floyd vs pac fight doesn't happen by midway thru 2013 (I think) HBO won't show it. Obviously anything can change because of the money btu I like the attitude.

#13 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

This is a very interesting matchup. I don't know why Gamboa's people rush him to 135 without stopping at 130. Probably lack of worthy opponent, to their eyes at least. Whatever the reason may be, that's not important, I guess. The important thing is this is gonna be a fantastic fight. I wonder how much power Gamboa can carry to 135. He should be able to preserve almost all of his speed to 135, although it will be quite a different story from 140. He basically has speed and accuracy on his side, while Rios is naturally bigger and packs big punching power. It could be somewhat like Chico v Casa, but I think Gamboa is more aggressive than Casa and thus can get hit by some sucker punches during anytime in the fight. It will be a good fight and will be close. We might need some sequels to this one.

#14 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostOliver, on 16 February 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

This is the type of fight we don't get much of anymore.   Two undefeated fighters, massively hyped by HBO, who usually get to slum it up in showcase fights, fighting each other.  I love it.  

That means it's going to be canceled because of some bullshit.

#15 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

About Gamboa being smaller and might not have the power to make Rios hesitate, I think timing and speed are still very important factors in punching power. Gamboa may not have the brut power of Rios at 135, but he can still hit Rios fast and accurately, and if that piles up, even rocks can break. I've seen many fights where supposedly weak punchers KO'ing his opponents with accumulation of punches and Gamboa's power at 135 should be quite formidable, IMHO, because he hits fast. Also, no human being can take continuous accurate assault. That's what Gamboa should be aiming at rather than trying to decapitate Rios with a few combinations like he often did at 126.

#16 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostRayTheBest, on 16 February 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

About Gamboa being smaller and might not have the power to make Rios hesitate, I think timing and speed are still very important factors in punching power. Gamboa may not have the brut power of Rios at 135, but he can still hit Rios fast and accurately, and if that piles up, even rocks can break. I've seen many fights where supposedly weak punchers KO'ing his opponents with accumulation of punches and Gamboa's power at 135 should be quite formidable, IMHO, because he hits fast. Also, no human being can take continuous accurate assault. That's what Gamboa should be aiming at rather than trying to decapitate Rios with a few combinations like he often did at 126.

Sounds crazy but i like gamboa on the inside here as far as beating rios to the punch and getting off first. But the question is how long can he do it for and whether rios is just too big and strong so it comes at a cost. I dare say you cant fight rios in close round after round...not that i think gamboa plans to do that...but i just think that he might be able to pinch hit in close and slip away. Pick his spots and he can actually have success inside. I dont think he can try and stay on the outside and box his way to a win...he is going to have get in the trenches with bam bam. Thing is....gamboa looks the type that doesnt mind that type of fight. Bam bam obviously dreams about it.

Very good point about speed and timing helping with the power. gamboa may be able to hurt him.

Bam bam has a good sharp jab and is probably a bit underrated in the speed department himself. He isnt fast per say, but he has really good snap his punches.

Speed and skill
        V
Very big and strong hard hitter

What tickles your fancy???

Its a hard one.

#17 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostSmelodies, on 16 February 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

That means it's going to be canceled because of some bullshit.

Boxing can even turn Smelodies into a cynic.  That's sad.

#18 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostOliver, on 16 February 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

Boxing can even turn Smelodies into a cynic.  That's sad.

Smels wondering about the hbo commentary team minus emmanuel steward who will be on duty with gamboa.

Edited by perfectjet, 16 February 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#19 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

View Postperfectjet, on 16 February 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

Sounds crazy but i like gamboa on the inside here as far as beating rios to the punch and getting off first. But the question is how long can he do it for and whether rios is just too big and strong so it comes at a cost. I dare say you cant fight rios in close round after round...not that i think gamboa plans to do that...but i just think that he might be able to pinch hit in close and slip away. Pick his spots and he can actually have success inside. I dont think he can try and stay on the outside and box his way to a win...he is going to have get in the trenches with bam bam. Thing is....gamboa looks the type that doesnt mind that type of fight. Bam bam obviously dreams about it.

Very good point about speed and timing helping with the power. gamboa may be able to hurt him.

Bam bam has a good sharp jab and is probably a bit underrated in the speed department himself. He isnt fast per say, but he has really good snap his punches.

Speed and skill
V
Very big and strong hard hitter

What tickles your fancy???

Its a hard one.

Rios has a massive chin, I think that is the issue more than Yuri not being able to punch at Lightweight. Like you guys said, his power is generated by speed and I doubt he loses much by not draining to Feather. I'm seeing a fight similar to the first Cotto/Margarito bout. And that is awesome. Rios isn't the type fighter to accept being out-boxed purely by speed and movement and his feet are quicker than he is credited with when it comes to cutting off the ring. Conversely Gamboa has always exhibited a lot of balls so I can't see him just getting run over by the larger man. There is NO fight I look forward to more than this.

#20 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

Gamboa wins this.

#21 boner

boner

resident anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

I'm with the majority, Rios gets him late. Cotto-Margs is a good comparison.

#22 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

I hope Rios walks away from this fight with 2 cauliflower ears, 3 broken ribs, and his first loss in the ring.

But this is too big of a jump in weight for Gamboa.

#23 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

The Cotto-Margarito comparison is a good one, though this has the potential to be even better, which is mind-blowing. We could have two superior fighters in this case.

Gamboa is faster and better educated than Cotto, with a similar vulnerability. Rios comes faster and hits harder than Margarito.

Very interesting. I give a slight edge to Rios because we've seen Gamboa hurt or floored by single shots before, and I just get the feeling that the guys at TR would rather have a mouthy Mexican American to push, as there is more potential for growth and profit.

#24 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

Tommy Hearns did roids, seriously.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

This fight sounds too good to be true.

#25 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 17 February 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

Rios has a massive chin, I think that is the issue more than Yuri not being able to punch at Lightweight. Like you guys said, his power is generated by speed and I doubt he loses much by not draining to Feather. I'm seeing a fight similar to the first Cotto/Margarito bout. And that is awesome. Rios isn't the type fighter to accept being out-boxed purely by speed and movement and his feet are quicker than he is credited with when it comes to cutting off the ring. Conversely Gamboa has always exhibited a lot of balls so I can't see him just getting run over by the larger man. There is NO fight I look forward to more than this.

Good points all round. its a ripper of a match up.

#26 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

View Postprodigious1, on 17 February 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

The Cotto-Margarito comparison is a good one, though this has the potential to be even better, which is mind-blowing. We could have two superior fighters in this case.

Gamboa is faster and better educated than Cotto, with a similar vulnerability. Rios comes faster and hits harder than Margarito.

Very interesting. I give a slight edge to Rios because we've seen Gamboa hurt or floored by single shots before, and I just get the feeling that the guys at TR would rather have a mouthy Mexican American to push, as there is more potential for growth and profit.

Maybe gamboa was getting dropped because he was drained a bit? Might be reaching here to explain him hitting the deck 4 times? He didnt fight like the weight was adversely affecting him. Just a thought.  Maybe now its different...he obviously feels he has to move up.

Regardless, its fair to say that rios can drop him at any point in the fight as you say.

Smels got me worried...too good to be true. Something comes up and the fight is off.

#27 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

View Postperfectjet, on 17 February 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Maybe gamboa was getting dropped because he was drained a bit? Might be reaching here to explain him hitting the deck 4 times? He didnt fight like the weight was adversely affecting him. Just a thought.  Maybe now its different...he obviously feels he has to move up.

Regardless, its fair to say that rios can drop him at any point in the fight as you say.

Smels got me worried...too good to be true. Something comes up and the fight is off.

The majority of them were a result of being off balance. Barros is the only time I've seen him hurt.

#28 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

I wouldn't say he's got a bad chin. He does keep it a little high though.

#29 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 17 February 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

The majority of them were a result of being off balance. Barros is the only time I've seen him hurt.

Ahh ok. Im pumped...that means youtube gamboa is going to cop a flogging over the next few days.

#30 bchap06

bchap06

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Great fight can't wait.  Was going to favor Gamboa due to the speed but Rios can make him sleep at any moment.  Not really sure who I got.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users