Jump to content





Newtown CT Shooting


114 replies to this topic

#1 Muttley85

Muttley85

    Belt Holder

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Should the US change Gun laws?

Pretty much stopped these types of things over here......

#2 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

    My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

What changes were made, Mutt?

#3 Muttley85

Muttley85

    Belt Holder

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Last bad one here (thank god!) was in 96 in Dunblane and since it's damn near impossible for most to legally get their hands on firearms.

http://en.wikipedia...._United_Kingdom

Only weapons you can get you hands on here are airguns, shotguns and sport rifles with rifles and shotguns needing very hard to get licences.

Really cannot fathom any reason why a civilian should be allowed to own handguns or assault rifles.

Posted Image





#4 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

    My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Mutt.

#5 SM2006

SM2006

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

I saw one prick yesterday blaming this on conneticuts strict gun laws, basically saying if MORE people in that state were allowed guns then this wouldn't have happened (as they would have killed the gun man). Unbelievable.

#6 Muttley85

Muttley85

    Belt Holder

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

View Postboyakasha!, on 14 December 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

Thanks Mutt.

You reckon this thing will impact the way people view people who are developmentally disabled in the States since this guy apparently was autistic?

View PostSM2006, on 15 December 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

I saw one prick yesterday blaming this on conneticuts strict gun laws, basically saying if MORE people in that state were allowed guns then this wouldn't have happened (as they would have killed the gun man). Unbelievable.

Yeah it seems that the republican/NRA/fox news crew are saying that more guns and a greater emphasis on Christianity are the answer......seriously who indulges these morons?

I think that gun culture and the 2nd amendment is so entrenched in American society that it's going to be pretty tough to do anything but at least Obama isn't trying for re-election so might actually be able to take this on.

Automatic/semi automatic weapons and handguns are developed and solely exist for the purpose of killing people, really cannot understand why the general public have any business owning them.

#7 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

    My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

It's a sad state of affairs, and I am in the hot bed of "we need more conceiled weapons permits and .9mm"

Goddamn idiots.

#8 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

    That guy.

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostMuttley85, on 15 December 2012 - 02:56 AM, said:

You reckon this thing will impact the way people view people who are developmentally disabled in the States since this guy apparently was autistic?



Yeah it seems that the republican/NRA/fox news crew are saying that more guns and a greater emphasis on Christianity are the answer......seriously who indulges these morons?

I think that gun culture and the 2nd amendment is so entrenched in American society that it's going to be pretty tough to do anything but at least Obama isn't trying for re-election so might actually be able to take this on.

Automatic/semi automatic weapons and handguns are developed and solely exist for the purpose of killing people, really cannot understand why the general public have any business owning them.

Oh really? So, what qualifications do police meet that the average person does not? How about the people in the national guard? FBI, etc? I'm no gun enthusiast but don't think that removing guns from the average person really fixes the problem. Crazy people shouldn't have access to guns.

#9 sunfish

sunfish

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Define crazy?

#10 Muttley85

Muttley85

    Belt Holder

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostSpontaneousFury, on 15 December 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:



Oh really? So, what qualifications do police meet that the average person does not? How about the people in the national guard? FBI, etc? I'm no gun enthusiast but don't think that removing guns from the average person really fixes the problem. Crazy people shouldn't have access to guns.

Well yeah, I'm sure they had pretty strict rules Norway where that nutter gunned down a load of people and people do get shot here from time to time so you are never going to eliminate these things all together.

America has 5% of the worlds population and 40% of personally owned firearms. I don't think that and the disproportionally high number of firearms related deaths are completely unrelated.

The only reason members of the public could possibly need handguns or semi-automatic weapons would a zombie/alien invasions.

There should be a long winded vetting process for people wanting sport weapons forcing them to get character references, police checks etc. Otherwise I reckon all firearms should be outlawed.

Apparently in Texas and maybe a couple other states, ex cons are legally allowed to purchase firearms.....madness!

#11 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

    That guy.

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Postsunfish, on 15 December 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

Define crazy?

What exactly is it that you are unsure of?

#12 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

    That guy.

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostMuttley85, on 15 December 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Well yeah, I'm sure they had pretty strict rules Norway where that nutter gunned down a load of people and people do get shot here from time to time so you are never going to eliminate these things all together.

America has 5% of the worlds population and 40% of personally owned firearms. I don't think that and the disproportionally high number of firearms related deaths are completely unrelated.

The only reason members of the public could possibly need handguns or semi-automatic weapons would a zombie/alien invasions.

There should be a long winded vetting process for people wanting sport weapons forcing them to get character references, police checks etc. Otherwise I reckon all firearms should be outlawed.

Apparently in Texas and maybe a couple other states, ex cons are legally allowed to purchase firearms.....madness!

I don't really trust anybody to have a gun. However, if you are going to allow the kind of people who become cops, soldiers etc., to have guns, I don't see a reason why the average person shouldn't be able to have them too. Personal protection is a valid reason to be able own a gun, so I disagree with you there. I don't agree that the state should have a monopoly on weapons, nor should anybody who knows their history. I say this as somebody who has never owned a gun, nor shot one.

#13 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

    My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

The only guns that a person should legally be allowed to own are shotguns and rifles that hold no more than 5 bullets in a clip or chamber. Guns should be used for hunting animals, not people.

#14 Muttley85

Muttley85

    Belt Holder

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostSpontaneousFury, on 15 December 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:



I don't really trust anybody to have a gun. However, if you are going to allow the kind of people who become cops, soldiers etc., to have guns, I don't see a reason why the average person shouldn't be able to have them too. Personal protection is a valid reason to be able own a gun, so I disagree with you there. I don't agree that the state should have a monopoly on weapons, nor should anybody who knows their history. I say this as somebody who has never owned a gun, nor shot one.

Here, if someone has been granted a license and wants to keep a 12 bore in there house for shooting rabbits/foxes and because it makes them feel safe that's cool with me.

Just don't like the idea of ex cons and people who don't have their shit together being able to arm themselves to the teeth with glocks, M16s and the like. These weapons are designed for killing people and clearly have no place in the hands of the masses.

#15 Muttley85

Muttley85

    Belt Holder

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

View Postboyakasha!, on 15 December 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

The only guns that a person should legally be allowed to own are shotguns and rifles that hold no more than 5 bullets in a clip or chamber. Guns should be used for hunting animals, not people.

Exactly!

#16 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

    That guy.

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostMuttley85, on 15 December 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Here, if someone has been granted a license and wants to keep a 12 bore in there house for shooting rabbits/foxes and because it makes them feel safe that's cool with me.

Just don't like the idea of ex cons and people who don't have their shit together being able to arm themselves to the teeth with glocks, M16s and the like. These weapons are designed for killing people and clearly have no place in the hands of the masses.

I used to agree with your point of view, so I do know where you are coming from. In the interest of not beating a dead horse, I guess I'm going to leave it there.

#17 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

    That guy.

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

View Postboyakasha!, on 15 December 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

The only guns that a person should legally be allowed to own are shotguns and rifles that hold no more than 5 bullets in a clip or chamber. Guns should be used for hunting animals, not people.

If this thread was about the something like the best ways to cook a squirrel, your input would be warranted. Since that is clearly not the case though.....

#18 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

    My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostSpontaneousFury, on 15 December 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:



If this thread was about the something like the best ways to cook a squirrel, your input would be warranted. Since that is clearly not the case though.....
Shut the fuck up, asshole.

#19 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

    That guy.

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Not an insult man, just trying to do you and everyone else a favor by providing helpful suggestions. Don't "shoot" the messenger.

#20 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

    My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Oh, ok. Sorry.

#21 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

    That guy.

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

View Postboyakasha!, on 16 December 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Oh, ok. Sorry.

You know you are my favorite redneck living in Arkansas who posts on these boards.

#22 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

    My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

You've really never fired a gun?

#23 sunfish

sunfish

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Crazy as in mentally unstable or crazy as in the weird guy you see time to time at the grocery store looking at you a little funny?

#24 Bone Marrow

Bone Marrow

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostSpontaneousFury, on 15 December 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I don't really trust anybody to have a gun. However, if you are going to allow the kind of people who become cops, soldiers etc., to have guns, I don't see a reason why the average person shouldn't be able to have them too. Personal protection is a valid reason to be able own a gun, so I disagree with you there. I don't agree that the state should have a monopoly on weapons, nor should anybody who knows their history. I say this as somebody who has never owned a gun, nor shot one.

From a theoretical point of view I see your point, but if you look at it pragmatically, in a democracy, letting police etc. carry guns and not letting general public have access to guns seems to work. It works pretty well in about every country with very strict rules on weapon possesions. I'm ready to give up on a lot of what should be my right If it saves 10000 lives a year. I know people call it personal protection, but looking at the stats, disallowing weapons is the best piece of personal protection any american could ask for. There are many things that certain sections of the state have monopoly on. Doctors have monopoly on prescribing hard drugs. Dangerous things cant be handled by just anyone, drugs are one of those things, guns is another. Just my opinion.

#25 boner

boner

    resident anarchist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philly

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

I hate government as much as anyone but justifying gun ownership by mistrust of govt is misguided. it's a case of going with the lesser evil. you are not very likely to succeed challenging govt/law enforcement by whipping out your m16.

#26 Muttley85

Muttley85

    Belt Holder

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

Seems Obama wants something done by the end of Jan but needs to address this ASAP while it's still at the front of everyone's mind.

Leave it too long and it will all be drowned out by the nonsense muttering of the NRA/Republicans/tea baggers.

#27 DJA

DJA

    Building a working margin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostMuttley85, on 20 December 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

Seems Obama wants something done by the end of Jan but needs to address this ASAP while it's still at the front of everyone's mind.

Leave it too long and it will all be drowned out by the nonsense muttering of the NRA/Republicans/tea baggers.
IMO, Newtown is going to stay in the collective consciousness of the US for a long time.  I get the feeling that this is a tipping point in gun control.  9/11 is the only US tragedy that I can recall that was more shocking and offensive to American ideals.

#28 boner

boner

    resident anarchist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philly

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I really hope so but am not optimistic. I see a useless 300 page report recommending some stricter controls and that's about it.

it comes down to two words: BAN GUNS

#29 Smelodies

Smelodies

    Rootsy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

View Postboner, on 20 December 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

I really hope so but am not optimistic. I see a useless 300 page report recommending some stricter controls and that's about it.

it comes down to two words: BAN GUNS

How would you do that with so many already possessed?

Edited by Smelodies, 20 December 2012 - 04:54 PM.


#30 boner

boner

    resident anarchist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philly

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostSmelodies, on 20 December 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

How would you do that with so many already possessed?

offer incentive to turn them in. after that, they're illegal, and possession/use, even in obvious self defense, is punishable. banning guns wouldn't make guns disappear, and wouldn't end mass shootings, but it would make them less commonplace



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users