The Official Money/Canelo prediction thread

111 replies to this topic

Poll: Money/Canelo (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will be "The One"?

1. Floyd (18 votes [78.26%])

Percentage of vote: 78.26%

2. Canelo (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. Draw (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. Controversial ending (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

5. Neo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 mitchbloodgreen

mitchbloodgreen

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

View Postindio1, on 14 September 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

the judge who had it 14-14 needs to be banned

CJ Ross is notoriously bad at her job. Tonight was her Mona Lisa of bad scorecards.

#32 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

All of the cards were bad. You can give him one or two for his sexy red hair if you want. No way he won 4 rounds.

#33 mitchbloodgreen

mitchbloodgreen

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 14 September 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

All of the cards were bad. You can give him one or two for his sexy red hair if you want. No way he won 4 rounds.
Agreed. I'd be hard-pressed not to score this fight a shutout. Two rounds at the absolute most for Alvarez and that's just being kind. 116-112 is a joke.

Edited by mitchbloodgreen, 14 September 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#34 BaldBull

BaldBull

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

The only two rounds I could remotely see giving Canelo would be the first two feeling out rounds, maybe the 12th if you were feeling generous.  I didn't score it but the only round I remember Canelo winning was the 2nd.

Edited by BaldBull, 14 September 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#35 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

Ghost Guerrero did better than Canelo.  What a fucking hype job this kid was.

#36 mitchbloodgreen

mitchbloodgreen

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

Posted Image

#37 mitchbloodgreen

mitchbloodgreen

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

Damn. What's going on with the place? Where's the post-fight chatter?

#38 BroadyBait

BroadyBait

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

I was surprise how aggressive Floyd was and how he stood in the pocket nearly all of the fight.. To me, he stood in the pocket more this fight (vs the much bigger and stronger guy) than he did for Guerrero..

Floyd's ability to change angles (punching and defensive angles), counter and jab all night frustrated the heck out of Canelo. Around 5th round, I thought I saw Canelo have that "What in the heck am I doing here face."

#39 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

Unfortunately, this fight just confirmed the obvious truth that Mayweather doesn't have any worthy challengers in his weight class. He is just head and shoulders above the rest.

As for Alvarez, he just had his biggest payday, and he should just move up to 160. I want to see if he can be more active if he moves up. Even if he becomes more active, however, it's unfortunate for him that the best of 160 are better than him. He already has a lot of money and he will make quite a lot more in his losing effort against top dogs at 160, so I shouldn't sympathize him that much.

#40 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostBroadyBait, on 15 September 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

I was surprise how aggressive Floyd was and how he stood in the pocket nearly all of the fight.. To me, he stood in the pocket more this fight (vs the much bigger and stronger guy) than he did for Guerrero..

Floyd's ability to change angles (punching and defensive angles), counter and jab all night frustrated the heck out of Canelo. Around 5th round, I thought I saw Canelo have that "What in the heck am I doing here face."

it's ridiculous that floyd is as sharp as he is at the age of 36/37. I mean his timing is still off the charts, mind is still sharp and what you mentioned about angles is spot on. He's always in a great position defensively cause he uses smart angles on O.

The coolest thing about last night IMO was like, i'm sure people somewhere in cyber space are downplaying how good canelo actually is but for what its worth he looked pretty sharp to me. Canelo showed up, gave a game effort and probably would have beat a lot of people in the sport last night. Floyd was just WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much for him.

Edited by walk with me, 15 September 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#41 pcaz23

pcaz23

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:obviously boxing, mets baseball/yankee hater/knick hater/jordan fanatic/

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

boy oh boy...Floyd made canelo shrink in size overnight. I mean that in every way possible. by far one of floyds sharpest performances.

#42 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

Got this off boxrec. It's a history of some of CJ ross' bigger & more controversial fights. I don't really remember too many of these fights but it seems like she always has a bullshit score cards. I bet she judges fights for the free travel and free major events. I think maybe its more incompetence then corruption.... lol @ all the draws. That seems to be her go to move.

Posted Image

cynthia j ross
  • 2011, Nov. 12 - Juan Carlos Burgos vs. Luis Cruz for the WBC Silver and WBO Latino Super Featherweight Titles - Ross was the only judge who did not score the bout heavily in favor of Burgos, instead seeing it as a draw. Scores: Duane Ford 98-92, C.J. Ross 95-95, Richard Ocasio 97-93.
  • 2011, Aug. 13 - Joseph Agbeko vs. Abner Mares (1st meeting) for the WBC Silver and IBF Bantamweight Titles. Ross was the only judge not scoring Mares as the winner, instead seeing that bout as a draw. Scores: Adalaide Byrd 111-115, C.J. Ross 113-113, Oren Shellenberger 111-115.
  • 2011, July 23 - Josiah Judah vs. Rafael Jastrzebski - Ross was the only judge not scoring in favor of Judah. She instead had the bout a draw. Scores: Richard Ocasio 59-55, Jerry Roth 58-56, C.J. Ross 57-57.
  • 2011, May 7 - Rodel Mayol vs. Javier Gallo - Ross was the only judge not scoring the bout handily in favor of Mayol, insteading seeing it as a draw. Scores: Jerry Roth 98-92, Lisa Giampa 98-92, C.J. Ross 95-95.
  • 2008, Feb. 7 - Kendall Holt vs. Ben Tackie - Ross was the only judge who did not score the bout handily in favor of Holt, instead scoring the bout as a draw. Scores: Richard Houck 98-92, Paul Smith 98-92, C.J. Ross 95-95.
  • 2005, June 10 - Gerardo Cesar Prieto vs. Lamar Horne - Ross was the only judge who did not score the bout in favor of Prieto. Scores: Bill Graham 57-56, Al Lefkowitz 57-56, C.J. Ross 56-57.
  • 2002, July 13 - Kevin Kelley vs. Humberto Soto for the NABA Super Featherweight Title. Ross was the only judge not scoring the bout in favor of Kelley, instead having it as a draw. Scores: Carol Castellano 116-112, Paul Smith 115-113, C.J. Ross 114-114.

http://boxrec.com/me...le=Human:401615
http://boxrec.com/li...judge&pageID=14

Edited by walk with me, 15 September 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#43 Pugilistica Dementia

Pugilistica Dementia

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Investigation needed. I'm betting there's a family member somewhere always betting on the Majority Decision.

#44 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

PAcquiao destroys mayweather after Rios.  Right hook over Floyds jab to the body and he has that straight left lead that will land on floyd on offense.

#45 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

floyd won't fight pacquiao at this point..... after either coming close or breaking the PPV record for fighting canelo floyd will never contribute to helping pacquiao get any money unless he gets pac to agree to a 70-30 deal or worst.

Edited by walk with me, 15 September 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#46 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

floyd wont fight pacqiuao at any point

#47 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

true.... i wish pac was a free agent kind of like how cotto goes from promotion to promotion fight to fight.... even aside from the mayweather fight i'd love to see pac vs some GBP fighters

#48 DJA

DJA

Building a working margin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostOliver, on 14 September 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Ghost Guerrero did better than Canelo.  What a fucking hype job this kid was.
Seems like there's been a backlash against Ghost and Ortiz among boxing fans after their poor performances against Floyd.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Canelo-hate among US boxing fans.  I imagine he'll be able to move to 160 andn fight a few top 20 types and still be huge in Mexico.  But nobody will ever buy the hype on him like they did this time

#49 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

View Postwalk with me, on 15 September 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

i'm sure people somewhere in cyber space are downplaying how good canelo actually is but for what its worth he looked pretty sharp to me. Canelo showed up, gave a game effort and probably would have beat a lot of people in the sport last night. Floyd was just WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much for him.

No, Canelo sucks.  Guerrero was a tougher fight.  So was Cotto.  So was Hatton.  So was Oscar.  Even Mosley got more done in one round than Canelo did in 12.  Canelo did better than Ortiz, I'll give him that.

#50 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostDJA, on 15 September 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Seems like there's been a backlash against Ghost and Ortiz among boxing fans after their poor performances against Floyd.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Canelo-hate among US boxing fans.  I imagine he'll be able to move to 160 andn fight a few top 20 types and still be huge in Mexico.  But nobody will ever buy the hype on him like they did this time

Oddly, I've been reading a lot of "Well, Canelo did pretty good!" stuff.  Which is just weird.  Like I just said to WWM, out of Floyd's latest fights, which always get shit on, I think Oscar, Hatton and Cotto definitely did better and Ghost probably did too.  And Mosley could go either way, depending on how much stock you put on his 2nd round.  Personally, I rather be Mosley and almost knock Floyd out, then be 15 pounds heavier and go 12 trying to out cutie pie Floyd Mayweather.

#51 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostPugilistica Dementia, on 15 September 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Investigation needed. I'm betting there's a family member somewhere always betting on the Majority Decision.
do you know what the odds were on a MD last night? I predicted an MD to a bunch of my friends, i should have put some money down on that myself.

View PostOliver, on 15 September 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

No, Canelo sucks.  Guerrero was a tougher fight.  So was Cotto.  So was Hatton.  So was Oscar.  Even Mosley got more done in one round than Canelo did in 12.  Canelo did better than Ortiz, I'll give him that.

styles make fights. I'm just saying that Canelo was sharp enough last night to have beaten a lot of opposition from 147-154. I'm not rating canelo's performance last night vs other mayweather opponents.

#52 DJA

DJA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostOliver, on 15 September 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

Oddly, I've been reading a lot of "Well, Canelo did pretty good!" stuff.  Which is just weird.  Like I just said to WWM, out of Floyd's latest fights, which always get shit on, I think Oscar, Hatton and Cotto definitely did better and Ghost probably did too.  And Mosley could go either way, depending on how much stock you put on his 2nd round.  Personally, I rather be Mosley and almost knock Floyd out, then be 15 pounds heavier and go 12 trying to out cutie pie Floyd Mayweather.
I can only guess that the Canelo grading curve was due to collective insanity during the fight by people who wanted to see him succeed.  I was at a party with 20 people and by round 6, we were discussing business.

I sometimes see people shitting on the Cotto win because he was past his peak, but I think Floyd has to get max credit for that Cotto win.  That's clearly the best fighter that he's fought in the last 10 years, and Cotto was prepared and capable of winning.

#53 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postwalk with me, on 15 September 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

styles make fights. I'm just saying that Canelo was sharp enough last night to have beaten a lot of opposition from 147-154. I'm not rating canelo's performance last night vs other mayweather opponents.

Is it really a style thing when nearly everybody does better?  Canelo looked slow, had bad footwork, no single punch to dominate a fight with, shitty workrate, shitty gameplan, and unable or unwillingness to change said shitty gameplan.  Other than that, he looked great.

#54 DJA

DJA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

It was as good as Canelo can be.  Lara and Vanes are better at 154.

#55 wettems35

wettems35

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Very good performance by floyd. Crazy scores by the judges. I gave canelo maaaaaybe two rounds out of generosity. Theres really no one out there to test him from 140 to 147 imo. And no way should he be criticized for not going higher than jr middle. Hes probably a natural 140 pounder

#56 kidd

kidd

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

Maybe CJ Ross is why there was a flood of last-minute money for a draw.

#57 indio1

indio1

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

i just think too many judges give fighters credit just for throwing punches and are easily influenced by the crowd. Canelo got credit for hitting air or pbf's arms. Aggressiveness does not equal affective aggressiveness when you are missing 80 percent of your punches.The only round i gave him was the last and that's because pbf stayed away.

#58 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostJaxamillian, on 15 September 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

floyd wont fight pacqiuao at any point

Pac is in route to 4 losses in 5 fights, no need for another one.

#59 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

do you know what the odds were on a MD last night? I predicted an MD to a bunch of my friends, i should have put some money down on that myself.

Lara would clown Canelo. I still wouldn't take him over Cotto.

#60 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostOliver, on 15 September 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Canelo did better than Ortiz, I'll give him that.

I don't know about that. Ortiz landed more significant punches and that was an entertaining fight.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users