The Official Money/Canelo prediction thread

111 replies to this topic

Poll: Money/Canelo (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will be "The One"?

1. Floyd (18 votes [78.26%])

Percentage of vote: 78.26%

2. Canelo (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. Draw (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. Controversial ending (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

5. Neo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Marz

Marz

Belt Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Daughter, Boxing, Hip Hop Music, Weed, Video Games, and Women....

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 15 September 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

I don't know about that. Ortiz landed more significant punches and that was an entertaining fight.
I actually said the same thing to someone else last night. Offensively, Ortiz did better than Canelo up to the point Ortiz went full retard and got himself knocked out.

#62 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 15 September 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

I don't know about that. Ortiz landed more significant punches and that was an entertaining fight.

I didn't think Ortiz landed much at all, but it was definitely more entertaining.  Even the ending, I kind of like clusterfuck endings.  It reminds me of the 90's, where it seemed like weird shit happened way more often, and that gives me a warm nostalgic feeling.

#63 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostOliver, on 15 September 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

I didn't think Ortiz landed much at all, but it was definitely more entertaining.  Even the ending, I kind of like clusterfuck endings.  It reminds me of the 90's, where it seemed like weird shit happened way more often, and that gives me a warm nostalgic feeling.

Like I said in the other thread. Canelo was closest to Baldomir II. I don't think Canelo landed anything of note. It was sparring. I expected him to school him and Alvarez didn't do as well as I anticipated.

I loved Floyd/Ortiz. Actually paid for that card because of God and I was very happy with it. I also had bet Floyd by KO, so that was a beautiful way to cash a ticket.

#64 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostMarz, on 15 September 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

I actually said the same thing to someone else last night. Offensively, Ortiz did better than Canelo up to the point Ortiz went full retard and got himself knocked out.

Khan would be great in a similar way. He'll land better than anyone else that is a realistic option and eventually it will be a great KO.

#65 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Canelo definitely didn't do as well as I expected. I thought he would throw more punches than usual, but I think he threw even less than usual.

#66 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,738 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 15 September 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Like I said in the other thread. Canelo was closest to Baldomir II. I don't think Canelo landed anything of note. It was sparring. I expected him to school him and Alvarez didn't do as well as I anticipated.

I loved Floyd/Ortiz. Actually paid for that card because of God and I was very happy with it. I also had bet Floyd by KO, so that was a beautiful way to cash a ticket.

I do owe you a measure of thanks for that. That's probably the last time I'll ever bet on Floyd by ko though.

Edited by Smelodies, 15 September 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#67 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostRayTheBest, on 15 September 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Canelo definitely didn't do as well as I expected. I thought he would throw more punches than usual, but I think he threw even less than usual.

I think you're right. Everyone does against Floyd. That's why I knew he had no chance past a ridiculous decision because Floyd didn't even have to lower his output.

#68 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Floyd has a way to lower his opponent's output. However, I hoped for a determined, brave fighter in Canelo but it turned out he didn't have guts to go all out. That's the disappointing bit to me. Not that it would've changed the result anyway.

#69 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

He just doesn't throw punches. I think he has plenty of guts, he was just out classed.

#70 ScotTheRoc

ScotTheRoc

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Canelo's popularity will always exceed his boxing ability.  I was a little surprised by his stamina this time...he didn't seem to gas out as bad as I'd seen in other fights.  Prior to last night, I thought that Floyd was going to bust him up towards the end of the fight.

#71 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

it was that bad you could feel canelo's frustration by the second. it was like any of us was in with floyd.

surprised to read many think canelo was outgunned but competitive and had some spots and all the rest of it. he was absolutely flogged and clowned for 36 mins with no breaks. even his rest time hurt because he had time to think about what just happened and whats gunna continue to happen in the next 3 mins.

lucky he had pounds on his body to help him, but it was the same schooling gatti got.

#72 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

and when you throw a hard right hand and dont hit anything other than the ring rope FLUSH...you've been clowned!!!! :)

Edited by perfectjet, 15 September 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#73 dread

dread

I want the angel

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

That was a great moment.  The guys who were watching with me were like, "what is Floyd looking at?"  The rope that Canelo just gave a beat down to.

#74 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 15 September 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

He just doesn't throw punches. I think he has plenty of guts, he was just out classed.

What I mean is that I wanted to see Canelo taking some risks and throwing more punches even to the degree of being reckless, this being his biggest chance to prove himself, but he just was his normal self.

#75 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostRayTheBest, on 15 September 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

What I mean is that I wanted to see Canelo taking some risks and throwing more punches even to the degree of being reckless, this being his biggest chance to prove himself, but he just was his normal self.

i think the reason that didnt happen is because canelo knew that even if he went outside his normal pattern...it was only going to mean he got hit more and maybe hurt.

#76 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

Exactly. That's why May's opponents don't throw as much when fighting him, but I wanted to see Canelo taking some risks even at the cost of getting hit and hurt badly, at least once. There was no other way he could've remotely troubled Floyd. I guess I expected too much from him.

BTW, welcome back, mate!

#77 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostRayTheBest, on 15 September 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

I know what you meant, he doesn't fight that way.

#78 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

View Postdread, on 15 September 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

That was a great moment.  The guys who were watching with me were like, "what is Floyd looking at?"  The rope that Canelo just gave a beat down to.

Evidently he was talking to people on press row.

#79 dread

dread

I want the angel

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

LOL  and that cost him the round on CJ Roth's card.

#80 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

View Postdread, on 16 September 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

LOL  and that cost him the round on CJ Roth's card.

That card was filled out on Tuesday.

#81 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

i love how CJ ross defended her mayweather draw yet she has several sketchy draw's on her judging resume. Shit is completely ridiculous....

I'm not familiar with the business of boxing so can someone explain to me why GBP doesn't just contract all the fighters & try to form a boxing league and slowly ingest all the other promotional companies the same way that the UFC did all the other MMA leagues. I understand you never want to upset a successful business structure but couldn't you achieve everything boxing currently achieves (financially) and more inside of a league structure?

- responsible judging & referee'ing
- no more problems making fights between promotional groups
- the fights the fans want to see (both hyped fights & action fights)
- no easy touches for the fighter that is trying to be built up
- stricter drug testing rules
- more opportunities to see consistent tix & sponsorship sales since you would have more inventory & assets to sell
- Still possible to keep HBO/Showtime in the picture and possibly integrate another network (CBS/NBC/ABC)

It would be a cool concept especially with the debates going on about olympic boxnig removing head gear and allowing fights to be more like professional fighting (i think this may have already been set into place)

edit:

bob arum is the only other relevant company and he's gotta be close to retirement. GBP has most of the relevant fighters in the sport right now with the exception of a few. I'm sure dibela and goosen would cooperate in something like this if they saw the right amount of money from it.

Edited by walk with me, 16 September 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#82 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

View Postwalk with me, on 16 September 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

why GBP doesn't just contract all the fighters

Good luck with that.  Plus, looking at some of the scorecards Canelo's gotten recently, or special treatment GBP fighters get from refs on a consistent basis, I'm not comfortable giving them absolute power over the sport.

#83 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostRayTheBest, on 15 September 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

Exactly. That's why May's opponents don't throw as much when fighting him, but I wanted to see Canelo taking some risks even at the cost of getting hit and hurt badly, at least once. There was no other way he could've remotely troubled Floyd. I guess I expected too much from him.

BTW, welcome back, mate!

cheers ray

#84 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

doug fisher hates floyd almost as much as cj ross.

scored it 116-113 apparently.

#85 Bone Marrow

Bone Marrow

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

View Postperfectjet, on 17 September 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

doug fisher hates floyd almost as much as cj ross.

scored it 116-113 apparently.

Haha, yeah he is no Floyd hugger thats for sure. That being said, I think Doug is one of the most reasonable boxing writers in the business and one of the more knowledgeable when it comes to boxing history. A weakness of his (which I think derives from having a lot of respect for fighters, which is a good thing) is that he gives a lot of credit for everything fighters do in the ring and for small subtle things. So he might have seen a few things Canelo did and wanted to highlight those. He predicts fights the same way, read his predictions and you will see than nearly every fight is going to have ebb and flow momentum changes and knockdowns and wobbly moments en masse and point deductions and controversy etc.. Its quite funny sometimes.

#86 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostBone Marrow, on 17 September 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Haha, yeah he is no Floyd hugger thats for sure. That being said, I think Doug is one of the most reasonable boxing writers in the business and one of the more knowledgeable when it comes to boxing history. A weakness of his (which I think derives from having a lot of respect for fighters, which is a good thing) is that he gives a lot of credit for everything fighters do in the ring and for small subtle things. So he might have seen a few things Canelo did and wanted to highlight those. He predicts fights the same way, read his predictions and you will see than nearly every fight is going to have ebb and flow momentum changes and knockdowns and wobbly moments en masse and point deductions and controversy etc.. Its quite funny sometimes.

Nah, he hates Floyd well beyond anything constituting reason. He said he thinks Floyd might be able to become an ATG by the end of this contract when he has already been one for over a decade.

#87 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Doug is ass.

#88 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

For a kid with so much hype, Canelo fought a massive dud of a fight.  It almost seemed, especially with his "I'm young, this is a great experience" comments after the fight, that he expected this outcome.  LOL at how Floyd just stopped reacting to his stupid feints after about two rounds.

Canelo and Austin Trout piss me off.

#89 kc40

kc40

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

After Cotto beats Rodriguez, I am sure we will see a Cotto-Canelo fight.  Lots of dough there.  

Good interview with Canelo, alongside JCC himself (in Spanish, no subtitles sorry).   It's funny to see Chavez pour praise on Mayweather, saying nobody can beat him right now.

#90 RAWDOGG69STYLE

RAWDOGG69STYLE

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Family...Boxing...MMA...Raiders...Lakers...Drinking...Blazing...Traveling

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Floyd fought well Canelo wasnt able to catch him...he missed by inches on a few occasions...i thought at some point his speed n accuracy would allow him to catch floyd but mayweather was super cautious as u could tell by tha fact he bit on numerous feints and used his legs like we havent seen him do lately...it was floyd pecking at canelo and winning rounds...canelo touched his body a bit but defensively floyd is tha grandmaster and that along with his counter attack mk him almost impossible to beat...i jus wish canelo woulda ruffed up floyd more used his size and dirty boxed...i believe thats the only way to take floyd out of his game...the canelo gameplan should have changed after round 2!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users