Random Boxing thread

6759 replies to this topic

#31 ChrisJMM

ChrisJMM

Peter Crouch

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, footy, Manchester United, quality hip-hop, travelling, beer, women, comedy, classic gangster movies

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(JRMIDDLE54 @ Dec 26 2008, 03:09 PM) View Post

Same with the myth that he is still a "dangerous" fighter-- who is the last guy he knocked out?

The answer: Vermin F-orr-est, nearly six years ago.

I had no idea it was that long ago.

In fairness though, he's pretty much just fought badasses since then, with the exception of one or two fights.

#32 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(CottoJS @ Dec 26 2008, 04:14 PM) View Post

I had no idea it was that long ago.

In fairness though, he's pretty much just fought badasses since then, with the exception of one or two fights.

Yeah, but he still couldn't stop Mitchell or Piccirillo. Mayorga has no power above 47. Even there against world class fighters. Those clubbing punches are easy to brace for. He was a strong dude more than a big puncher.

#33 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness and unconsciousness.

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE(PWillIsTheMan @ Dec 26 2008, 08:36 AM) View Post

Mayorga is constantly in boring fights. That he is exciting is a gigantic myth.

Oh, shaddap, ya old grump. Ricky is the man.

#34 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(prodigious1 @ Dec 26 2008, 05:26 PM) View Post

Oh, shaddap, ya old grump. Ricky is the man.

I'll take that as cosign. His press conferences are often more entertaining than his fights.

#35 Lift Haverford

Lift Haverford

Funyuns are ..STANK RINGS!

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Interests:bein THAT dude

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

Very true

#36 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:36 AM

Random stuff...

I love listening to cornermen give instructions between rounds.  My recent favorites are Bouie Fisher, Enzo Calzaghe, and Pat Burns.

Nacho Beristain is one scary-looking, fish eyed fool.  His eyes roll around like he just ate a handful of ecstasy.

I'm seriously considering getting the UFC PPV this weekend.  What a stacked card.

Random quote...

"Margerito is far from being an elite fighter I can't see him beating anyone who is of A caliber fighter.
His 2 high profile fights Santos and Clotty he looked like ass ..Now he wanted the winner of Quintana Cotto well Cotto tears that ass up !" -imperial

Edited by boyakasha!, 27 December 2008 - 05:55 AM.

#37 shadowsfall

shadowsfall

I demand to be taken seriously!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts
  • Interests:Sex.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(boyakasha! @ Dec 27 2008, 12:36 PM) View Post

"Margerito is far from being an elite fighter I can't see him beating anyone who is of A caliber fighter.
His 2 high profile fights Santos and Clotty he looked like ass ..Now he wanted the winner of Quintana Cotto well Cotto tears that ass up !" -imperial

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

If you wanna start that game, I'm down.

"Is there really much of a difference between the holyfield today and the one of 10-15 years ago? Holyfield's weaknesses are just being exposed lately. He doesnt do well with boxers. Sultan beats him at any point, as does Larry Donald. Moorer outboxed him. Ruiz just had a tough style. Toney was just too tricky defensively.

To me this latest run lowers his all time standing. Id rate him a little bit below Walcott." -- Pickledeggssays

#38 anonymous

anonymous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

http://www.starboxing.com/newsdetails.php?nNewsID=221

If you ask him, he would tell you he'd fight anyone that you put in front of him, and he wouldn't be lying. Since first turning pro on February 13, 2003, the self-proclaimed greatest heavyweight in the world, Star Boxing's Kevin "Kingpin" Johnson has been telling anyone who would listen he was destined to become the next great heavyweight champion. Now 21 wins later against 0 defeats, Johnson has positioned himself as one of the top, if not the top, heavyweight prospect in the world (earning rankings in both the WBA #5, and WBC #10) and is making people believe that what he has been saying all along is actually true.

Now Johnson, in an attempt to further position himself as the top heavyweight prospect in the business and prove he is willing to fight anyone and everyone, is willing to put everything on the line, including a very good friendship, by challenging undefeated knockout artist Chris "Nightmare" Arreola (26- 0, 23KO). Arreola last fought on November 29th on HBO against Travis Walker (28-2-1, 22KO) stopping Walker in the third round of their scheduled twelve round heavyweight contest.

"We think that Kevin is the best heavyweight in the world. On the other hand Chris thinks he is the best and has his people telling him the same thing. Depending on who you talk to in the industry one person will say Kevin is the best, another will say Chris is. So let's decide who actually is the best and have these two great heavyweight prospects fight each other, plain and simple," said Johnson's promoter, CEO of Star Boxing, Joe DeGuardia. "It would be a great fight for the fans, a great fight for the heavyweight division and a great fight for the U.S. The winner clearly cements themselves as THE best American heavyweight, THE best heavyweight prospect in the entire world, and THE rightful challenger to the heavyweight champions out there."

Somebody needs to man up and fight kingpin. Are the heavies afraid of this guy?

#39 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness and unconsciousness.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

I think the boring nature of his fights has people looking elsewhere.

#40 indio1

indio1

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

is there anything more vicious looking than a shane mosley's left hook to the body? he puts his whole body into it, even turning his head to his right right after impact. now, probably a short hook would be more affective. but his left hook followed through with body language is a thing of beauty. i would not not take that left hook to the body for 1g
maybe for 12G so i wouldnt have to worry about my mortage for 6 months

#41 AndrewP

AndrewP

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

I like to think about boxing when I should be working, and today I was wondering "Why did they let Lennox Lewis wear his protector up to his chin in the first Holyfield fight?"

#42 pocoroba

pocoroba

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

In a majority draw, in what order should the ring announcer annouce the cards as to preserve the drama?

random side note - Gatti-Robinson I and II on ESPN2 tonight.  followed by Marg-Cotto and Pac-JMM 2 on HBO.  all in all, a solid night of boxing.

#43 TimC

TimC

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(anonymous @ Dec 27 2008, 02:34 PM) View Post

If you ask him, he would tell you he'd fight anyone that you put in front of him, and he wouldn't be lying. Since first turning pro on February 13, 2003, the self-proclaimed greatest heavyweight in the world, Star Boxing's Kevin "Kingpin" Johnson has been telling anyone who would listen he was destined to become the next great heavyweight champion. Now 21 wins later against 0 defeats, Johnson has positioned himself as one of the top, if not the top, heavyweight prospect in the world (earning rankings in both the WBA #5, and WBC #10) and is making people believe that what he has been saying all along is actually true.

Now Johnson, in an attempt to further position himself as the top heavyweight prospect in the business and prove he is willing to fight anyone and everyone, is willing to put everything on the line, including a very good friendship, by challenging undefeated knockout artist Chris "Nightmare" Arreola (26- 0, 23KO). Arreola last fought on November 29th on HBO against Travis Walker (28-2-1, 22KO) stopping Walker in the third round of their scheduled twelve round heavyweight contest.

"We think that Kevin is the best heavyweight in the world. On the other hand Chris thinks he is the best and has his people telling him the same thing. Depending on who you talk to in the industry one person will say Kevin is the best, another will say Chris is. So let's decide who actually is the best and have these two great heavyweight prospects fight each other, plain and simple," said Johnson's promoter, CEO of Star Boxing, Joe DeGuardia. "It would be a great fight for the fans, a great fight for the heavyweight division and a great fight for the U.S. The winner clearly cements themselves as THE best American heavyweight, THE best heavyweight prospect in the entire world, and THE rightful challenger to the heavyweight champions out there."

Johnson needs to throw a right hand every once in a while, maybe 1 or 2 a round, 3 if he's just feeling crazy, it would do wonders for his career, its a mystery to me why boring fighters are so incredulous as to why they don't get big fights. Risk/reward, why would Arreola even fight Johnson?

#44 Aficionado

Aficionado

Taxin' that Ass

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,996 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(pocoroba @ Dec 27 2008, 10:09 PM) View Post

In a majority draw, in what order should the ring announcer annouce the cards as to preserve the drama?

Read a draw card first, then the scorecard that scored the fight for one of the fighters, and of course, the other draw card.

thanks for the heads up.

#45 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

I was watching Qawi/Leon Spinks for about the 10th time.  It's one of those unexplainable, there should be no reason why I should want to rewatch such a one-sided beatdown, yet I do over and over again.  Anyway, in the fourth round, when Qawi slips like 4 left hooks in a row, dances, laughs, sticks his tongue out, and then proceeds to beat the living shit out of Leon, has there ever been a better clowning in the history of boxing?  I think not.

#46 davolith

davolith

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

Why don't promoters schedule a top 15 contender (in the same weight class) on the undercard of every title fight main event? Put the guy in with a tomato can (won't cost much) with the promise they will get half the pay of a headliner if one of the two drops out with injury or weigh-in problems. This would solve a lot of refund and cancellation problems.

#47 Dynamic Hispanic

Dynamic Hispanic

Unified Champion

• BANNED!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(pocoroba @ Dec 27 2008, 09:09 PM) View Post

random side note - Gatti-Robinson I and II on ESPN2 tonight.  followed by Marg-Cotto and Pac-JMM 2 on HBO.  all in all, a solid night of boxing.

"Judge A scores the bout 115-113 for Gatti! GAT-TEE! Judges B and C both see the bout (pause for drama) 114-114 a DRAW! DRAW!"

#48 Dusty Manslut

Dusty Manslut

No hair there!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,851 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(anonymous @ Dec 27 2008, 05:34 PM) View Post

He was better as a point guard for the Suns.

#49 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE(indio1 @ Dec 27 2008, 09:00 PM) View Post

is there anything more vicious looking than a shane mosley's left hook to the body? he puts his whole body into it, even turning his head to his right right after impact. now, probably a short hook would be more affective. but his left hook followed through with body language is a thing of beauty. i would not not take that left hook to the body for 1g
maybe for 12G so i wouldnt have to worry about my mortage for 6 months

Good call.  Watching Shane work the heavy bag is a thing of beauty.  I think Paul Williams throws a hella right hook to the body.  Puts everyting he has into it.  He broke Verno's guts with that punch a while back.

#50 SenseFullViolence

SenseFullViolence

No mames

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:07 AM

Ulises Solis is a p4per, he just doesnt have the resume

He would beat Ironboy, now that the little guy has some wear on his tread.

and hes gonna school Viloria

#51 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE(SenseFullViolence @ Dec 29 2008, 03:07 PM) View Post

Ulises Solis is a p4per, he just doesnt have the resume

He would beat Ironboy, now that the little guy has some wear on his tread.

and hes gonna school Viloria

He just doesn't impress me that much. i expect viloria to give him hell.

#52 bradman

bradman

2-Time Maxboxing Pick 'em Champion 2002 and 2006!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Fun thread!

My random contribution: being the MMH fanboy that I am, I decided to check out some of his Italian movies and a few years ago, I bought one off eBay called Indio.

The only thing worse than this shit stain of a movie was Marvin's "acting." It made his infamous Right Guard commercial look like an Academy Award worthy performance.

#53 GMontoya = mannysjuice

GMontoya = mannysjuice

Manny's ball protector Montoya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(Sugar @ Dec 25 2008, 02:43 PM) View Post

I remember having a bunch of friends over for the PPV of Tyson/Seldon. After the fight they were so disgusted they never wanted to watch boxing again. I pleaded with them to come back to watch Tyson/Holy. I told them that even though Holy was over the hill, he would go out on his shield and never quit like punk Seldon did.

For Tyson/Holy, there was a house full of people. I had a cable splitter so that we could have TV's in the living room, dining room and the bathroom (don't want to miss the action taking a leek). People brought snacks and drinks. It was a huge party. We were all waiting for the expected auto accident- Holy going down in a spectacular blaze of fiery glory!! Heck, I even joked to my buddy that we would actually buy the overpriced T-shirts DKP was pushing if Holy somehow won.

So in round one Tyson walks up to Holy and hits him in the mouth with a right that was far more damaging than anything Seldon got hit with and it was like the world stood still for just a second when... Holy hit him back!!! It was on!! I remember thinking that Tyson would know he had been in a fight this night. When Holy started to wilt in the 5th after a monsterous body shot, I thought that the fun would soon be over. Never did I imagine what was to come with Tyson going down in the 6th. Everyone in my crowded house was on their feet for the whole fight. We didn't even here the bell ring when Tyson almost got stopped in the tenth. That night made up for all the McNeely, Bruno and Seldon disasters that my friends and I had paid for.

Oh yea, I still have that t-shirt!  biggrin.gif

My favorite Tyson fight moment was Buster vs. Tyson. I was barely 16 and had run away from home. I was pretty beat up and feeling none too good to even walk much less figure what I was going to do. My friend who was I staying with wasn't a boxing fan but he had cable. That night he was at work and I was left alone to watch what I thought would be a brutal Tyson blowout. Instead what I got was the gift of watching one man realize his dream.

For one night only only, Buster Douglas was the baddest man on the planet. I remember going "oh f*ck!" and "I can't believe this" to an empty room, unable to contain myself. Seeing an emotional Buster, talking about his mother and how he knew he had to do this for her, moments after becoming champ of the world against 42-1 odds, made me realize everything was going to be all good. Great night. Great fight.

Edited by GMontoya, 29 December 2008 - 12:41 PM.

#54 NORMNEALOn

NORMNEALOn

Thee Rahman Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

oniell bell as a heavy..your guys thoughts??

hell be fighting dominick jenkins on january 14 on a warriors card....now dont get me wrong but bell hasnt really done much aside from his mormeck fights...hell ray charles coulda seen dale brown win that fight on fri fights some time back.....

i personally think bell gets demolished....if hed have gotten the nod in the 2nd mormeck fight i would have been excited to see him and haye go at it...but now at heavy i dont think it would be to compelling unless haye looses to klit and bell gets some solid wins under his belt.

cheers,

NORMNEALOn

#55 SenseFullViolence

SenseFullViolence

No mames

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

I will enjoy watching Bell get demolished at HW (dont know about this Jenkins guy, but vs. any top 20 HW)

something happened to him.  i dont want to take credit away from Adamek, but it seemed like Bell wasnt hit that hard.  not that he wouldnt have lost anyways.

he's too lackadaisical - maybe it will work against some shitty also-lackadaisical HW, but if a dude has some fire in him, Bell wont be able to keep him off him.

#56 AndrewP

AndrewP

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

I give Joe Calzaghe credit for being a really good fighter, and he would make me cry in a boxing ring in about 5 seconds, but there is something about that guy I just don't like.

Especially the carrying on about his victory over Roy Jones like he had just climbed Everest. Shit, if that was truly that big of a victory, then Glen Johnson is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ since he put Jones to sleep for 5 minutes 4 years earlier.

#57 rimquiv

rimquiv

Maxboxing Poet Laureate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Interests:masturbating

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

I miss the ring announcer Ed Derian and fights at the Blue Horizon in general.

I honestly think Malinaggi likes cock in his throat.  Maybe not in his ass, but definitely in his throat.

I was a big Oba Carr fan when he was coming up on TNF.

#58 Aficionado

Aficionado

Taxin' that Ass

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,996 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(AndrewP @ Dec 29 2008, 06:31 PM) View Post

I give Joe Calzaghe credit for being a really good fighter, and he would make me cry in a boxing ring in about 5 seconds, but there is something about that guy I just don't like.

Especially the carrying on about his victory over Roy Jones like he had just climbed Everest. Shit, if that was truly that big of a victory, then Glen Johnson is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ since he put Jones to sleep for 5 minutes 4 years earlier.

Same here. He deserves credit for what he did at super middle. Can't take anything away from him there. But there this abrasiveness to him that just gets under my skin. Also, I'm not as high on his accomplishments as others are. I've said this recently somewhere else. Not trying to hate, but I agree with you.

#59 SenseFullViolence

SenseFullViolence

No mames

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

plus Calzaghe wears fringe on his shorts, which ive always thought to be kinda faggy

#60 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(rimquiv @ Dec 29 2008, 10:08 PM) View Post

I miss the ring announcer Ed Derian and fights at the Blue Horizon in general.

I honestly think Malinaggi likes cock in his throat.  Maybe not in his ass, but definitely in his throat.

I was a big Oba Carr fan when he was coming up on TNF.

I loved oba too. Have to disagree about Malignaggi. My money says he loves it in the ass.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users