#1 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

Got something to say and it isn't really thread worthy? Put it in here. We have them on every other forum. This is a good spot for rants about how gay the Klitschko's are or how manly Holyfield is. Or any glorious statement that is generated by overwhelming hate.

I wanted to take the time to wish Erik Morales a Happy Birthday.

#2 Salvy_Mic

Salvy_Mic

Vuvuzelas are God's instruments.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:38 AM

I didn't know gods had birthdays.

#3 Dynamic Hispanic

Dynamic Hispanic

Unified Champion

• BANNED!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

HBO has some cool boxing podcasts. You know how on On Demand they have all those little vignettes or highlight videos? They put them on the HBO Boxing podcast and you can load them on your iPod. They even have audio versions of all the fights dating back about a year and a half or more. Next time I am at work, I will LISTEN to Pacquiao-Morales I. I wonder if I can handle that.

#4 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(Dynamic Hispanic @ Dec 25 2008, 04:29 PM) View Post

HBO has some cool boxing podcasts. You know how on On Demand they have all those little vignettes or highlight videos? They put them on the HBO Boxing podcast and you can load them on your iPod. They even have audio versions of all the fights dating back about a year and a half or more. Next time I am at work, I will LISTEN to Pacquiao-Morales I. I wonder if I can handle that.

I found a box of tapes last week from the late 70's and early 80's. My Dad and I used to record the fights on a tape recorder.

I found Hagler/Antuofermo 1, Leonard/Benitez, Holmes/Shavers 2, Zarate/Pintor, Saad/Johnson 2, Lopez/Ayala.

Listened to them. it's hilarious when we got all excited and yelled over the audio. The funniest was either me at 10yrs old demanding that Leonard intentionally headbutted Benitez. Or my Dad screaming at Earnie Shavers taking everything Holmes could throw at him.

Brought back a lot of great memories.

#5 Dusty Manslut

Dusty Manslut

No hair there!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,851 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(Dynamic Hispanic @ Dec 25 2008, 11:29 AM) View Post

Not seeing a fight but hearing Lampley could make me a serial killer within two listens.

#6 AndrewP

AndrewP

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

I was a fan of Leroy Haley when I was a kid. It was because

1. He beat Saoul Mamby, who I found boring.

2. He was a black guy with the nickname "Irish".

#7 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness and unconsciousness.

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

Keith Mullings was a bad ass.

#8 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

Anthony Mundine vs Shannon Taylor early next year. Theyl be charging around $40-$50 for the ppv.

Mundine makes me sick now.

#9 pocoroba

pocoroba

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

did anyone see the Darchinyan-Gorres fight?  I started watching it on youtube but I fell asleep after about 3 rds.. is the whole fight worth watching?  From what I heard Gorres can be kind of boring, and he did seem to be running a little bit.

#10 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(pocoroba @ Dec 26 2008, 06:09 AM) View Post

did anyone see the Darchinyan-Gorres fight?  I started watching it on youtube but I fell asleep after about 3 rds.. is the whole fight worth watching?  From what I heard Gorres can be kind of boring, and he did seem to be running a little bit.

Same. Although I saw most of the replay, bar a few rds through distractions, what not. Gorres is a runner with average stamina. Most ALA fighters fight like that.

Not one for the collection.

#11 tscherr

tscherr

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

I always liked Louis Monaco.  He looked like he could be HW champ, until the opening bell rang.  Besides he knocked out both Peter McNeeley and Buster Douglas.

#12 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

Didn't he get Dq'd against Buster?

#13 GymRat24

GymRat24

My rat ain't boxing.....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:01 PM

Good thread  icon14.gif

#14 Dynamic Hispanic

Dynamic Hispanic

Unified Champion

• BANNED!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:09 PM

I became a bigger Evander Holyfield fan not because of anything he did in the ring, but because of Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing. I was seven or so when that came out and it was easily the best boxing game up until that point. It still ranks up there.

Anyways, the game version of Holyfield mirrored his actual career. He was impossible to beat at first. Then once you beat him, you keep fighting him until he disappeared out of the rankings for a long time. I remember we knocked him off the game, then like six months later he was in the top 10 with some silly record and then won the title again. Look at how his career played out and it is funny.

In the game you could create two boxers simultaneously and go up the rankings, and with two older brothers that was a lot of fun. We would always create real boxers, and we even kept title histories. I remember Holyfield's first reign lasted over a year. We could not fucking beat him. My brother finally beat him with Axel Schulz. I won the title with Peter McNeeley and David Tua. I think we even created a fucking Buster Mathis, Jr. I wish I still had that game.

Edited by Dynamic Hispanic, 25 December 2008 - 01:12 PM.

#15 Sugar

Sugar

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

I remember having a bunch of friends over for the PPV of Tyson/Seldon. After the fight they were so disgusted they never wanted to watch boxing again. I pleaded with them to come back to watch Tyson/Holy. I told them that even though Holy was over the hill, he would go out on his shield and never quit like punk Seldon did.

For Tyson/Holy, there was a house full of people. I had a cable splitter so that we could have TV's in the living room, dining room and the bathroom (don't want to miss the action taking a leek). People brought snacks and drinks. It was a huge party. We were all waiting for the expected auto accident- Holy going down in a spectacular blaze of fiery glory!! Heck, I even joked to my buddy that we would actually buy the overpriced T-shirts DKP was pushing if Holy somehow won.

So in round one Tyson walks up to Holy and hits him in the mouth with a right that was far more damaging than anything Seldon got hit with and it was like the world stood still for just a second when... Holy hit him back!!! It was on!! I remember thinking that Tyson would know he had been in a fight this night. When Holy started to wilt in the 5th after a monsterous body shot, I thought that the fun would soon be over. Never did I imagine what was to come with Tyson going down in the 6th. Everyone in my crowded house was on their feet for the whole fight. We didn't even here the bell ring when Tyson almost got stopped in the tenth. That night made up for all the McNeely, Bruno and Seldon disasters that my friends and I had paid for.

Oh yea, I still have that t-shirt!  biggrin.gif

#16 Ipswich Express

Ipswich Express

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:04 PM

100 Years ago today the boxing world, in fact the world itself, changed forever thanks to a fight that took place in Australia...

Jack Johnson v Tommy Burns

#17 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

I watched In-Jin Chi vs. Michael Brodie a few days ago.  What a fucking war.  Chi is about the only featherweight I've ever seen who had legs comparable to Pacquiao in size.  Really wish he and Pacquiao could have fought each other in 02-03 before Pac became a more complete fighter.  Total blood bath.

#18 tscherr

tscherr

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(PWillIsTheMan @ Dec 25 2008, 03:49 PM) View Post

Didn't he get Dq'd against Buster?

Yeah,  He hit Buster right after the first Bell and knocked him on queer street.  Buster said he couldn't continue so they called it a DQ loss for Monaco.

#19 Lift Haverford

Lift Haverford

Funyuns are ..STANK RINGS!

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Interests:bein THAT dude

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(Dynamic Hispanic @ Dec 25 2008, 05:09 PM) View Post

I became a bigger Evander Holyfield fan not because of anything he did in the ring, but because of Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing. I was seven or so when that came out and it was easily the best boxing game up until that point. It still ranks up there.

Anyways, the game version of Holyfield mirrored his actual career. He was impossible to beat at first. Then once you beat him, you keep fighting him until he disappeared out of the rankings for a long time. I remember we knocked him off the game, then like six months later he was in the top 10 with some silly record and then won the title again. Look at how his career played out and it is funny.

In the game you could create two boxers simultaneously and go up the rankings, and with two older brothers that was a lot of fun. We would always create real boxers, and we even kept title histories. I remember Holyfield's first reign lasted over a year. We could not fucking beat him. My brother finally beat him with Axel Schulz. I won the title with Peter McNeeley and David Tua. I think we even created a fucking Buster Mathis, Jr. I wish I still had that game.

I used to have a Sega emulator on my old computer and downloaded it just so I can play that game on my computer.  It was awesome.

#20 shadowsfall

shadowsfall

I demand to be taken seriously!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts
  • Interests:Sex.

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

Good thread.

IPB Image

That gif still amazes me. Judah is retarded.

Just a random thing.

#21 JasonTO

JasonTO

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

I just watched Vargas-Trinidad for the eleventy thousandth time.

This has to rank as one of the most under-appreciated fights of the modern era. I rarely hear it brought up in discussions of all-time great wars, but this one had it all. Bad blood. Great exchanges. Knock downs. Controversy. Shifts in momentum. And a dramatic (if one-sided) ending. Oh. And an ATG stare-down.

#22 Dynamic Hispanic

Dynamic Hispanic

Unified Champion

• BANNED!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(JasonTO @ Dec 26 2008, 01:06 AM) View Post

I just watched Vargas-Trinidad for the eleventy thousandth time.

This has to rank as one of the most under-appreciated fights of the modern era. I rarely hear it brought up in discussions of all-time great wars, but this one had it all. Bad blood. Great exchanges. Knock downs. Controversy. Shifts in momentum. And a dramatic (if one-sided) ending. Oh. And an ATG stare-down.

Vargas-Trinidad gets remember. It won Fight of the Year. I think the underrated fight is Tito-Mayorga. That shit was fun as fuck.

#23 Salvy_Mic

Salvy_Mic

Vuvuzelas are God's instruments.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

The only reason Trinidad-Vargas might get overshadowed is because both Morales-Barrera I and Mosley-de la Hoya I took place that year.  There are some years where there are about 3 fights that didn't win FOTY honors that are better than certain years' actual FOTY.

This year, 2000, and '82 were those types of years.  

Can anyone tell me if Mercer and McCall ever fought each other?  Also, why was McCall the one heavy Holyfield never fought?  That fight would have been entertaining in a one-sided way, no?

#24 Dusty Manslut

Dusty Manslut

No hair there!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,851 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(Salvy_Mic @ Dec 26 2008, 01:12 AM) View Post

The only reason Trinidad-Vargas might get overshadowed is because both Morales-Barrera I and Mosley-de la Hoya I took place that year.  There are some years where there are about 3 fights that didn't win FOTY honors that are better than certain years' actual FOTY.

This year, 2000, and '82 were those types of years.  

Can anyone tell me if Mercer and McCall ever fought each other?  Also, why was McCall the one heavy Holyfield never fought?  That fight would have been entertaining in a one-sided way, no?

Mercer and McCall never fought. Entertaining fight from hindsight if it happened but it was two guys who never made it over the hump though BOTH beat Lewis (one by ko and one by not getting the decision).

I think Oliver/Holy is a mismatch because as hard as the bull hit, he sucked at fighting. Holy fought.

#25 Dangerdog

Dangerdog

Mark1 fanboy

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts
  • Interests:fat bitches

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(Salvy_Mic @ Dec 25 2008, 12:38 PM) View Post

I didn't know gods had birthdays.

greatest second post in a thread of all time?

My instincts tell me yes.

QUOTE(Dynamic Hispanic @ Dec 26 2008, 02:39 AM) View Post

Vargas-Trinidad gets remember. It won Fight of the Year. I think the underrated fight is Tito-Mayorga. That shit was fun as fuck.

In case you missed the memo, every fight Ricardo is in turns to fun. Dude is completely underappreciated as a caveman / face first brawler.

Tito completely beat the fight out of him. Since that fight he hasnt taken a flush punch from anyone without being hurt.

#26 JRMIDDLE54

JRMIDDLE54

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

Sithchatchawal-Monshipour is awesome and not having Nick Charles and Wally Matthews to mess up the commentary makes it all the more better.  Yes, I would rather the Versus telecasts be broadcast in French.

#27 venom

venom

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE(perfectjet @ Dec 25 2008, 12:42 PM) View Post

Same. Although I saw most of the replay, bar a few rds through distractions, what not. Gorres is a runner with average stamina. Most ALA fighters fight like that.

Not one for the collection.

i'm glad he KD'd darchinyan tho.

#28 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE(DangerDog @ Dec 26 2008, 08:11 AM) View Post

greatest second post in a thread of all time?

My instincts tell me yes.
In case you missed the memo, every fight Ricardo is in turns to fun. Dude is completely underappreciated as a caveman / face first brawler.
Tito completely beat the fight out of him. Since that fight he hasnt taken a flush punch from anyone without being hurt.

Mayorga is constantly in boring fights. That he is exciting is a gigantic myth.

#29 JRMIDDLE54

JRMIDDLE54

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(PWillIsTheMan @ Dec 26 2008, 06:36 AM) View Post

Mayorga is constantly in boring fights. That he is exciting is a gigantic myth.

Same with the myth that he is still a "dangerous" fighter-- who is the last guy he knocked out?

The answer: Vermin F-orr-est, nearly six years ago.

Edited by JRMIDDLE54, 26 December 2008 - 07:10 AM.

#30 residentoftheearth

residentoftheearth

el ausente

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:06 AM

why did "ghost" guerrero leave dan goosen? seems like he was getting decent exposure.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users