#31 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

The Fab 5 movie brought back a lot of memories of when I loved College hoops.

War Michigan & War San Diego St!

#32 Chaser

Chaser

Unified Champion

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(hateso @ Mar 9 2011, 08:25 PM) View Post

Same, that's 10 minutes more than me. I'll get in a pool and watch the Tournament but I don't really care. Not sure how that happened, I used to watch it every night and knew even the obscure teams.

Now the best thing about the tourney for me is The Masters commercials. But definitely fuck Duke.

I was the same way. Check out the new UNLV doc on HBO.

If I don't fill out a bracket this year, I will have no reason to watch.

I just remembered they expanded the field this year.

#33 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:02 AM

it was interesting how they glossed over michigan's dubious victory in the elite 8 in '93. "they muscled past GW and temple to get to the final four".  if not for a tech called on chaney at the end of the game its very possible that webber never gets the opportunity to call time out in the championship.

#34 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

laugh.gif

#35 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE(Chaser @ Mar 14 2011, 12:56 AM) View Post

I was the same way. Check out the new UNLV doc on HBO.

If I don't fill out a bracket this year, I will have no reason to watch.

I just remembered they expanded the field this year.

Larry Johnson = one bad mutha

#36 MRX1983

MRX1983

What it Dew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/...1eee3e2c8f95117

Fill out a bracket fags. good luck  kmu.gif

#37 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

Tommy Hearns did roids, seriously.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 14 2011, 07:02 AM) View Post

it was interesting how they glossed over michigan's dubious victory in the elite 8 in '93. "they muscled past GW and temple to get to the final four".  if not for a tech called on chaney at the end of the game its very possible that webber never gets the opportunity to call time out in the championship.

laugh.gif

I do remember Chaney whining like a little bitch after game about the Michigan players "gyrating".   Chaney was outcoached and his Black Bobby Knight act was tired.

QUOTE(hateso @ Mar 14 2011, 12:35 AM) View Post

The Fab 5 movie brought back a lot of memories of when I loved College hoops.

War Michigan & War San Diego St!

696an3.gif

Ironically, we could get a Michigan/Duke game in the second round.  

#38 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:35 AM

I filled out my bracket.  Not everybody does the Yahoo Sports Pick 'Em, so we always just print out a blank bracket (or however many brackets you want to enter), fill them out, and let one person hold the originals until it becomes clear who the winner is.  It costs $10 to enter a bracket, and it looks like we might get 15 or 20 people to join the pool I'm in.

I always pick at least a couple of 5/12 matchups to be upsets each year.  Almost never fails.  Last year I had my best bracket ever.  I picked all but 2 or 3 of the first round games correctly.  EDIT:  Matter of fact, I did not pick a game incorrectly in two of the four regions all the way to the Final Four.  I wish I would have kept saved that bracket.  I'll never do that well again.

This year I'm betting that Richmond beats Vandy and Utah St beats Kansas St.  Those are my 5/12 upsets.

UALR in the house!  Derek Fisher's Alma Mater.  I think they play tonight.

Not one team from the SEC West is in the tourney.  Damn.

Edited by boyakasha!, 15 March 2011 - 06:37 AM.

#39 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE(boyakasha! @ Mar 15 2011, 09:35 AM) View Post

I filled out my bracket.  Not everybody does the Yahoo Sports Pick 'Em, so we always just print out a blank bracket (or however many brackets you want to enter), fill them out, and let one person hold the originals until it becomes clear who the winner is.  It costs $10 to enter a bracket, and it looks like we might get 15 or 20 people to join the pool I'm in.

I always pick at least a couple of 5/12 matchups to be upsets each year.  Almost never fails.  Last year I had my best bracket ever.  I picked all but 2 or 3 of the first round games correctly.  EDIT:  Matter of fact, I did not pick a game incorrectly in two of the four regions all the way to the Final Four.  I wish I would have kept saved that bracket.  I'll never do that well again.

This year I'm betting that Richmond beats Vandy and Utah St beats Kansas St.  Those are my 5/12 upsets.

UALR in the house!  Derek Fisher's Alma Mater.  I think they play tonight.

Not one team from the SEC West is in the tourney.  Damn.

Has there ever been a bigger gravy trainer than Derek Fisher?  Jordan's Bulls had a few but Fisher is up there.

#40 pocoroba

pocoroba

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 15 2011, 12:21 AM) View Post

laugh.gif

I do remember Chaney whining like a little bitch after game about the Michigan players "gyrating".   Chaney was outcoached and his Black Bobby Knight act was tired.
696an3.gif

Ironically, we could get a Michigan/Duke game in the second round.

I went to Temple and always hated Chaney, that's why I never rooted for their team (still don't).  I think he got to 5 Elite 8 games but always ran into #1 seeds and got bounced.  

Also Temple benefited a couple times when they were a #7 or #10 seed, and the #2 in that region would get knocked off so they'd fall into a 2nd round game against a #15.  

The coach in there now (Dunphy) still hasn't won a tourney game with Temple, I think he's like 0-3.  When he was at Penn he won 1 or 2 first round games.  I think one of their best players is hurt so I think Penn State could bump them off.  I see a 31-29 type game.

#41 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 15 2011, 10:37 AM) View Post

Has there ever been a bigger gravy trainer than Derek Fisher?  Jordan's Bulls had a few but Fisher is up there.

Robert Horry won a bunch of rings, but he contributed nicely to what his teams were doing at the time.

#42 ~Styles~

~Styles~

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

Horry is one of the gullyest guys i've seen on a basketball court.

Dude was just unconscious in the clutch.

#43 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 14 2011, 08:21 PM) View Post

laugh.gif

696an3.gif

interesting theory there.  michigan barely won, with the assistance of a technical foul on chaney in the final minute despite having webber and howard instead of derrick battie and jason ivie up front. eddie jones was the best player on the court that day. out recruited, definitely. outcoached, hardly.

#44 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 15 2011, 01:53 PM) View Post

interesting theory there.  michigan barely won, with the assistance of a technical foul on chaney in the final minute despite having webber and howard instead of derrick battie and jason ivie up front. eddie jones was the best player on the court that day. out recruited, definitely. outcoached, hardly.

Eddie Jones was the best player on the floor and they didn't win.  Didn't they have mckee as well?  Is that 2 first rounders going up against a team of sophs?

Chaney should have drowned Michigan, they were leading, weren't they?

He didn't win shit in the Mark Macon era either.

#45 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 15 2011, 11:17 AM) View Post

Eddie Jones was the best player on the floor and they didn't win.  Didn't they have mckee as well?  Is that 2 first rounders going up against a team of sophs?

Chaney should have drowned Michigan, they were leading, weren't they?

He didn't win shit in the Mark Macon era either.

jones and mcKie were juniors and jones was prop 48 so it was only his second yr. michigan had by far the more talented team.  webber was the first overall pick in that draft. jones was picked five slots behind howard the following year

#46 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 15 2011, 02:41 PM) View Post

jones and mcKie were juniors and jones was prop 48 so it was only his second yr. michigan had by far the more talented team.  webber was the first overall pick in that draft. jones was picked five slots behind howard the following year

You are reaching, Temple had plenty of talent.  You act like they were the Little Sisters of the poor.  Again, 2 first rounders.   Chaney choked.  

Prop 48?  That is his fault for not being able to read.

#47 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 15 2011, 11:57 AM) View Post

You are reaching, Temple had plenty of talent.  You act like they were the Little Sisters of the poor.  Again, 2 first rounders.   Chaney choked.  

Prop 48?  That is his fault for not being able to read.

if anyone choked that year it was michigan, who had far and away the most talent in the country.  the prop 48 thing is just to point out that jones was not anymore experienced then any of michigans starting five.  as for chaney, not really sure how u can blame him because mark macon could not make a shot to save his life against duke

#48 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 15 2011, 03:39 PM) View Post

if anyone choked that year it was michigan, who had far and away the most talent in the country.  the prop 48 thing is just to point out that jones was not anymore experienced then any of michigans starting five.  as for chaney, not really sure how u can blame him because mark macon could not make a shot to save his life against duke

Well, didn't you say that Chaney got a technical in a crucial moment?  Are you contradicting yourself?  He choked.

Yeah, the North Carolina team that beat Michigan in the last seconds was clearly devoid of talent.  Huge underachieving team to make it to the final with 5 starting sophomores and lose to North Carolina.   LOL, keep them coming.  

So now Macon sucks is the reason Chaney didn't win shit?  Are you serious?

#49 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 15 2011, 12:47 PM) View Post

Well, didn't you say that Chaney got a technical in a crucial moment?  Are you contradicting yourself?  He choked.

Yeah, the North Carolina team that beat Michigan in the last seconds was clearly devoid of talent.  Huge underachieving team to make it to the final with 5 starting sophomores and lose to North Carolina.   LOL, keep them coming.  

So now Macon sucks is the reason Chaney didn't win shit?  Are you serious?

Im saying it was poor officiating to call a technical foul at that point in the game, giving Michigan free throws and the ball.  When have you seen that happen at the end of an important game?  Then again it could have been rather costly if the chosen ones didnt make it to the final four that year.  

Rose said it himself, they lost to the worse team that year.  Donald Williams, George Lynch, Derrick Phelps, Rodl. hardly comparable to the talent the wolverines had.   Id say Michigan losing that year was on par with Syracuse never winning a title with Coleman, Owens, Seikaly, Thompson and Douglas.

Macon was a very good college player. Im sure you are fond of him since he's a michigan boy, but the truth is he was horrible in the game against Duke when Temple had the horses to win it all.

#50 Chaser

Chaser

Unified Champion

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(boyakasha! @ Mar 14 2011, 09:33 AM) View Post

Larry Johnson = one bad mutha

My favorite CBB player by a trillion miles. I loved him.

I was really sad when he wrecked his back his third year in the NBA. He went from almost unanimous ROY (Mutombo got one), All Star, DONE. He was never the same, not even close. Look at the dunk contest the year he entered it. Dude was as explosive as it gets.

He was still an above-average, serviceable player, but he never became great.  sad.gif

#51 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

I hated Johnson more than I hated Laetner.

Anderson, Scott & Oliver were the shit.

#52 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 15 2011, 06:39 PM) View Post

Im saying it was poor officiating to call a technical foul at that point in the game, giving Michigan free throws and the ball.  When have you seen that happen at the end of an important game?  Then again it could have been rather costly if the chosen ones didnt make it to the final four that year.  

Rose said it himself, they lost to the worse team that year.  Donald Williams, George Lynch, Derrick Phelps, Rodl. hardly comparable to the talent the wolverines had.   Id say Michigan losing that year was on par with Syracuse never winning a title with Coleman, Owens, Seikaly, Thompson and Douglas.

Macon was a very good college player. Im sure you are fond of him since he's a michigan boy, but the truth is he was horrible in the game against Duke when Temple had the horses to win it all.

laugh.gif   You are embarrassing yourself

Didn't NC have Eric Montross, the consensus No. 1 recruit in the country when he came out?

What was NC ranked throughout the year?  Did you know that Michigan played NC earlier in the year at the Maui Invitational and they beat them on a last second shot by Rose?

Right, because 5 sophomores winning at national title wins titles quite

The Flyin' Illini that Michigan cornholed in 89 was more underachieving.  Now Kendall Gill thinks he invented the baggy shorts.    The Fab 5 weren't even as talented as the 89 and 90 Michigan teams.  

#53 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

Kentucky was favored over Michigan in the semis.

#54 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(hateso @ Mar 15 2011, 08:24 PM) View Post

I remember the panel on ESPN including Vitale picked NC.  

Kentucky was the favorite to win the tourney that year with Mashburn but don't let that get in the way of Hester's tremendous take.  I bet he is an Illinois fan.

Edited by DetroitMex, 15 March 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#55 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 16 2011, 01:33 AM) View Post

I remember the panel on ESPN including Vitale picked NC.  

Kentucky was the favorite to win the tourney that year with Mashburn but don't let that get in the way of Hester's tremendous take.  I bet he is an Illinois fan.

Hester never makes sense, but he is amusing.

#56 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(Chaser @ Mar 15 2011, 06:58 PM) View Post

My favorite CBB player by a trillion miles. I loved him.

I was really sad when he wrecked his back his third year in the NBA. He went from almost unanimous ROY (Mutombo got one), All Star, DONE. He was never the same, not even close. Look at the dunk contest the year he entered it. Dude was as explosive as it gets.

He was still an above-average, serviceable player, but he never became great.  sad.gif

Blake Griffin has been compared to Larry in a few of the interviews I've seen this year.  Both very explosive.  But Larry had that gold toof, so he is slightly more awesome that Griffin.

#57 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

gotta give griffin the edge since he is taller and has yet to dress as a female

#58 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 15 2011, 10:33 PM) View Post

gotta give griffin the edge since he is taller and has yet to dress as a female

Blake is listed as 6'10"    How tall is grandma Johnson?

#59 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 15 2011, 04:22 PM) View Post

laugh.gif   You are embarrassing yourself

Didn't NC have Eric Montross, the consensus No. 1 recruit in the country when he came out?

What was NC ranked throughout the year?  Did you know that Michigan played NC earlier in the year at the Maui Invitational and they beat them on a last second shot by Rose?

Right, because 5 sophomores winning at national title wins titles quite

The Flyin' Illini that Michigan cornholed in 89 was more underachieving.  Now Kendall Gill thinks he invented the baggy shorts.    The Fab 5 weren't even as talented as the 89 and 90 Michigan teams.

youre the guy who brought up coaching. michigan had the most talent in the country that year. a better coach than fisher wouldve taken them to a title. a number one overall draft pick, a top 5 draft pick and another top 15 draft pick.  The earlier michigan teams were talented, that is true, but they managed to actually win a chip.   illinois?  laugh.gif they had gill and nick anderson, but it aint like the had two of the best big men in the nation up front.  riley woulda started at center for them.

QUOTE(boyakasha! @ Mar 15 2011, 07:39 PM) View Post

Blake is listed as 6'10"    How tall is grandma Johnson?

around 6'5

QUOTE(hateso @ Mar 15 2011, 05:24 PM) View Post

as they should have been, considering how michigan barely got past the Bruins and then got gifted against Temple.

#60 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Then they didn't underachieve, you contradict your own buffoonery.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users