#1 JLop

JLop

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

WBC: Pascal-Hopkins Immediate Rematch Order Looms

There could be trouble in store for Chad Dawson. According to WBC President Jose Sulaiman, nearly half of the votes of the WBC's 32-member Board of Governers are in favor of an immediate rematch between Bernard Hopkins and light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal, after which the winner would then meet Dawson.

Hopkins and Pascal fought to a controversial twelve round draw on December 18 at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec, Canada. Pascal is contractually obligated to face Dawson next. The Dawson rematch stems from a contract clause in their original bout agreement. Pascal won an eleven round techincal decision over Dawson last year.

Initially, it appeared that the WBC would support the Pascal's contractual obligation to Dawson. But as of mid-day on Wednesday, 13 of 14 voters favored over-ruling the contractual rematch between Pascal and Dawson in favor of a return bout between Pascal and Hopkins, whose victor would then defend the belt against Dawson, the WBC's former interim titlist.

"The total voting here has not been received yet. But the great majority is asking for Pascal and Hopkins, with the winner fighting Chad Dawson. That's the voting that we have been receiving the most of from about 35 percent of those who have voted, that's how it is going right now," said Sulaiman.

"We expect to get the rest of them by the end of this week because we've received approximately 13 votes in favor of the Pascal rematch with Hopkins. Everyone agrees that it was a great match, and they would like to see rematch, and that they both deserve that fight. Only one has voted for Dawson to get the rematch first."

Gary Shaw, Dawson's promoter, said that the WBC's voting was moot.

"They can vote all that they want. I have a contract that allowed for Pascal to have one interim fight after ours, and he fought Bernard Hopkins. And then, he would have to do the rematch with us," said Shaw.

"I just have to get a date from HBO, and that's all that I have to do. My comment is that we have a contract to fight Pascal, and I'm waiting for [promoter] Yvon Michel to tell me when Jean Pascal will be ready to fight. And then, I'll go to HBO and talk to them about a date and money."

Source: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34433

Update:
Thursday, January 06, 2011

Pascal-Hopkins Rematch Ordered, Purse Bid on Feb. 4

A vote taken by the Board of Governors of the WBC was released on Thursday and the sanctioning body has ordered a rematch between Bernard Hopkins and their reigning light heavyweight champion, Jean Pascal. From what BoxingScene.com/Netboxe.com has learned, the two sides have 30 days to reach an agreement. If they fail, a purse bid will be held in Mexico City on February 4. The winner of the battle will then be required to compete with former champion Chad Dawson.

Source: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34472

Update
Tuesday, February 08, 2011

"Pascal-Hopkins II, Dawson-Andrade in Play For May 21

It seems that everything is set for Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KOs) to defend his WBC/IBO light heavyweight titles in a rematch with Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KOs) on May 21. They fought to controversial majority draw on December 18 in Quebec City. HBO has picked up the fight, where Showtime had televised the initial bout. The rematch may once again take place in Quebec.

"It's confirmed and it should take place on May 21," announced Pascal's promoter Yvon Michel, President of GYM. "The Showtime network also wanted the fight, but HBO was faster on the trigger. I know that Golden Boy Promotions have arranged everything with Hopkins and we on our side, we will do the same with Jean. Regarding the site, we are in discussions, but we are confident that this will take place in Quebec."

Regarding ex-beltholder Chad Dawson (29-1, 17 KOs), who has a contractual clause to get the first shot at Pascal [after the Hopkins fight], Michel says he is going to appear in the co-feature against Librado Andrade, or former champion Adrian Diaconu.

"HBO wanted to broadcast a fight between Jean and Dawson, but they preferred to see our boxer against Hopkins. Instead, Dawson will fight most likely on the undercard of Hopkins-Pascal. I can also confirm that it will against an opponent like Librado Andrade or Adrian Diaconu, two boxers who are well known here," Michel said."

Source: http://www.boxingscene.com/pascal-hopkins-...-play-21--35738

Edited by JLop, 08 February 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#2 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

So the next match for Pascal will be the Dawson fight, it seems. If Pascal loses that one, will Hopkins fight Pascal or Dawson?

#3 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness and unconsciousness.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'm OK with any situation, but if Hops can't get the rematch he wants he should just go take Cloud's belt, for "history's" sake. And he would, quite easily.

#4 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

The only way Hops gets an immediate rematch is if HBO decides to let Showtime air it.

And Hops would school Cloud, I would be comfortable taking any of the 3 over him handily. It's a shame he isn't nearly as interested in "knocking out" Dawson as Afic & Leee are of watching him do it. Chad would maybe lose 1 round to that guy. He is made for him.

#5 True Swanson

True Swanson

Salad? Since I am not a rabbit, no

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Fuck the WBC.

Bring on Chad-Pascal and Bhop can wait for the winner

#6 Integrital

Integrital

The Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89,103 posts
  • Interests:Veterinary Assistant (soon to be RVT), Staff Writer for Queensberry-Rules.com, boxing and MMA fanatic, unfunny comedian, aspiring voice actor, all-around complainer

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Well, the WBC has no obligation to honor the contract between Pascal and Dawson, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a rematch with Hopkins. I'd say their vote is "correct" in that it's probably what's best for them given the situation.

But I'd also like to see a Pascal-Dawson rematch too, so it's pretty much win-win as far as I'm concerned. Though it's fair to note that, despite the age-defying feats, Hopkins is bound to get old sooner rather than later, so that could be a bit more pressing.

#7 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

Pascal will be out of his depth in the Boardwalk Hall.

#8 Bubba

Bubba

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

From ESPN:

"The WBC board of governors has voted in favor of ordering the immediate rematch between WBC champion Jean Pascal and emeritus champion Bernard Hopkins for the WBC light heavyweight championship of the world," WBC president Jose Sulaiman wrote to the camps. "The winner of this fight has the obligation to fight Chad Dawson immediately without any intervening contest."

Under the order, Pascal and Hopkins have 30 days to negotiate a deal. If they do not reach an agreement, a purse bid will be ordered for Feb. 4 at the WBC offices in Mexico City.

"This is a great thing for boxing and hopefully fans will get to see another great fight with Pascal and I," Hopkins said in a statement. "I'm looking forward to starting off the New Year by making history as the oldest athlete to win a major championship in any sport."

"I'm very happy the WBC did the right thing," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, Hopkins' promoter, told ESPN.com. "I think Bernard clearly deserves the immediate rematch. I feel very strongly that Bernard Hopkins won the fight. Now we just need to get it on again. I am sure that Bernard will leave no doubt that he is the light heavyweight champion. I'm going to be talking to [Pascal promoter] Yvon Michel and, based on the conversations I've had with him in the last few days, he and Jean Pascal are interested in the fight."

Gary Shaw, Dawson's promoter, refused to comment when reached by ESPN.com.

However, immediately after Pascal-Hopkins, Shaw and Michel both acknowledged that the Pascal-Dawson rematch clause was contingent on a network paying at least the same or more than HBO did for the August fight. Sources told ESPN.com that a network would have to offer least $2 million for the rematch clause to remain intact.

"We have signed an agreement to fight Chad Dawson if HBO or Showtime is willing to pay a license fee the same or higher than the last time. So I don't know," Michel said after the Pascal-Hopkins fight, when asked which rematch they would pursue.

Showtime, the only other American network that spends seven-figure money for fights, is not interested in Pascal-Dawson II. It is unclear whether HBO is interested in the rematch, at least at that price.

Showtime televised Pascal-Hopkins and has an option on a rematch, Schaefer said. He also said that Showtime boxing chief Ken Hershman told him he is interested in Pascal-Hopkins II.

#9 JLop

JLop

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Pascal-Hopkins Rematch Ordered, Purse Bid on Feb. 4

A vote taken by the Board of Governors of the WBC was released on Thursday and the sanctioning body has ordered a rematch between Bernard Hopkins and their reigning light heavyweight champion, Jean Pascal. From what BoxingScene.com/Netboxe.com has learned, the two sides have 30 days to reach an agreement. If they fail, a purse bid will be held in Mexico City on February 4. The winner of the battle will then be required to compete with former champion Chad Dawson.

On December 18 in Quebec City at the Pepsi Coliseum, a packed arena saw Pascal and Hopkins fight to a twelve round majority decision. American network Showtime televised the clash and said their ratings were the highest in years.

"They will not have to chase me. I want another fight against Bernard Hopkins to prove that I am better than him and to demonstrate that the judges were wrong," said Jean Pascal to BoxingScene.com/Netboxe.com on December 21.

Despite the directive of WBC and the wishes expressed by Jean Pascal and Bernard Hopkins, we must remember that Chad Dawson, who lost an eleven round technical decision to Pascal in August 2010, has a contract clause requiring Pascal to fight him next. This contractual obligation could force Pascal to ignore the ruling of the WBC, which is likely going to cost him the sanctioning organization's title.

The interest of the American television networks, Showtime and HBO, could ultimately dictate the sequence of events. Indeed, if there is no doubt about the willingness of Showtime to televise a Pascal vs. Hopkins rematch, then the champion will have to see what HBO decides on a possible Pascal vs. Dawson return bout. As part of the Pascal-Dawson contract clause, the rematch must have the financial support of a major cable network.

Source: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34472

#10 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

The WBC has nothing to with Chad's rematch clause.

#11 Dusty Manslut

Dusty Manslut

No hair there!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,851 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(hateso @ Jan 6 2011, 08:34 PM) View Post
The WBC has nothing to with Chad's rematch clause.

This

#12 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(Dusty Manslut @ Jan 6 2011, 11:57 PM) View Post

This

Chad will receive stepaside.

History will not be denied.

Vengeance must be taken.

#13 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(Smelodies @ Jan 7 2011, 05:10 AM) View Post

Chad will receive stepaside.

History will not be denied.

Vengeance must be taken.

He isn't going to take step aside money. They have to hope HBO doesn't offer the cash, but to stick it to Showtime they probably will. Hopkins can fight for the vacant crown against someone else.

#14 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

HBO might just to screw with Showtime, even though they won't make money of the fight. In a just world there would be a double header with Pasqal/Hopkins 2 and Dawson/Cloud on showtime.

#15 SenseFullViolence

SenseFullViolence

No mames

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

I hope HBO does pony up the money.  Chad will beat Pascal.  And then Pops will go talk about how he wants to fight a HW, or RJ III or something.

Pops picked Pascal very carefully.  I doubt the geezer even wants Cloud, his workrate might be enough to turn off Pops.

Yes, Pops still has enough to compete w/ anyone at LHW, but i hate how he only picks certain matchups (many of them at super-WinkyWeight v. non-LHWs).  If youre going to compete at LHW, compete.

#16 True Swanson

True Swanson

Salad? Since I am not a rabbit, no

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(SenseFullViolence @ Jan 7 2011, 10:19 AM) View Post

I hope HBO does pony up the money.  Chad will beat Pascal.  And then Pops will go talk about how he wants to fight a HW, or RJ III or something.

Pops picked Pascal very carefully.  I doubt the geezer even wants Cloud, his workrate might be enough to turn off Pops.

Yes, Pops still has enough to compete w/ anyone at LHW, but i hate how he only picks certain matchups (many of them at super-WinkyWeight v. non-LHWs).  If youre going to compete at LHW, compete.

icon14.gif

These guys don't want it Chad, ask Bhop he don't want it Chad

#17 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(TrueWest @ Jan 7 2011, 04:28 AM) View Post

Fuck the WBC.

Bring on Chad-Pascal and Bhop can wait for the winner

Yep, thats my hope too. Chad has a score to settle with pascal. Bhop already kicked his bum.

#18 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

What score? Pasqal already kicked Chad's ass

#19 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

laugh.gif

#20 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(leee @ Jan 8 2011, 10:41 AM) View Post

What score? Pasqal already kicked Chad's ass

Please.  dry.gif

#21 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE(perfectjet @ Jan 7 2011, 05:43 PM) View Post

Please.  dry.gif

It isn't like it was controversial decision or anything. if anything the only one with a score to settle with him would be Bernard. Dawson got beat fair and square and I don't think anyone would argue that. If their is a contract with a rematch clause then it should be honored but don't no need to make out like Dawson got robbed and he deserves another chance. Fact is he had his chance and got beat. I never understood why somehow that means there has to be a rematch.

So tell me, exactly how does Dawson have unfinished business with him? Because he will try harder to win this time?

QUOTE(hateso @ Jan 7 2011, 05:16 PM) View Post

laugh.gif

sleeping.gif

#22 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(leee @ Jan 8 2011, 02:03 AM) View Post

It isn't like it was controversial decision or anything. if anything the only one with a score to settle with him would be Bernard. Dawson got beat fair and square and I don't think anyone would argue that. If their is a contract with a rematch clause then it should be honored but don't no need to make out like Dawson got robbed and he deserves another chance. Fact is he had his chance and got beat. I never understood why somehow that means there has to be a rematch.

So tell me, exactly how does Dawson have unfinished business with him? Because he will try harder to win this time?
sleeping.gif

sleeping.gif  sleeping.gif

#23 NotSoSilentPete

NotSoSilentPete

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hopkins-Pascal was a good fight, Dawson-Pascal was a non-fight.  I know which one I want to see again.

#24 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(NotSoSilentPete @ Jan 7 2011, 09:33 PM) View Post

Hopkins-Pascal was a good fight, Dawson-Pascal was a non-fight.  I know which one I want to see again.

There is this aspect of it as well. With Steward in his corner he will be even more passive.

#25 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(NotSoSilentPete @ Jan 8 2011, 04:33 AM) View Post

Hops/Pascal was WAY better. Other than the tension of an upset happening and Pascal looking ready to go late, the Dawson fight sucked for the most part. But he deserves his rematch. Whatever anyone wants to say about Chad, he has sought out the toughest fights since he had the opportunity to. If anyone deserves a rematch, it's him.

#26 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(leee @ Jan 8 2011, 01:03 PM) View Post

sleeping.gif

Their wasnt a bees dick between them regardless of what the scores were, and the fight ended prematurely at a crucial point.

Thats reason enough for a rematch.

#27 GymRat24

GymRat24

My rat ain't boxing.....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

Looks like Pascal is not crazy for a rematch with B-Hop soon.... War B-Hop!!...

#28 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(perfectjet @ Jan 8 2011, 01:21 AM) View Post

Their wasnt a bees dick between them regardless of what the scores were, and the fight ended prematurely at a crucial point.

Thats reason enough for a rematch.

I forgot you had Dawson winning for some bizarre reason. I didn't think it was even that close to be honest, at least not close enough for any controversy.

#29 box_addict

box_addict

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

I could have sworn that I read something about Sulaiman saying that he doesn't have the power or something to order a rematch, right after their fight. Funny how they all changed their minds especially since BHop isn't even promoted by Don King.
I'm happy that BHop is getting the rematch but I would have liked to see him fight Dawson instead.

#30 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(box_addict @ Jan 8 2011, 08:19 PM) View Post

I could have sworn that I read something about Sulaiman saying that he doesn't have the power or something to order a rematch, right after their fight. Funny how they all changed their minds especially since BHop isn't even promoted by Don King.
I'm happy that BHop is getting the rematch but I would have liked to see him fight Dawson instead.

We will see if he gets the rematch. Jose was right the first time. He has nothing at all to do with this. It's HBO's call.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users