19632 replies to this topic

#61 Wanevaan

Wanevaan

RIP Gil Scott-Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:33 PM

Yes an old 28 (old being a relative term), especailly compared to Jordan. 10 years in, four finals appearances in 6-8 playoffs. Played hard in your opinion, or not he's logged a ton of games in his career and was a key component in that title run.

#62 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • Interests:spending time with my 3 kids kimberly, willis, and arnold

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(Ron Champ Miller @ Nov 3 2006, 07:02 PM) View Post

re-read what i said..

odom will disappear once kobe comes back like he always does...i think his knee may be worse..cant believe him and the kid have been playin like 10 yrs...

where did i say anything about kobe's age? all i said was i cant believe hes been playin for 10 yrs(him and KG)...

so, i'm not sure what you are talking about

does odom not disappear when they are both on the floor?
i dont know how serious his knee is...apparently he might play tonight..

i do agree kobe keeps himself in tremendous shape..off season or on..but he has had some injuries..he is not a young kid anymore..the window has closed

shaq? yes, who knows..but he's still had a good career, nonetheless..

did u or did u not say what i'm gonna quote below?
kobe is no 'spring chicken'...his knee might be more serious..dudes been in the league for 10 yrs...

u said it in another post....

#63 Chingao!

Chingao!

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Wanevaan @ Nov 3 2006, 03:28 PM) View Post

Kobe at 28 is not equal to Jordan at 28.

Kobe's an old 28 as you already know. Plus you can argue Kobe has already hit his stride, the guy has a 3-5 year window to get a title...

I do think he will win one in that period, or in the least will be pefrectly poised to do so.

lmao....how so??? Jordan didn't play ball as a teen or in his early 20s???  For someone who avg 35 last season I'd say he's just starting to hit his stride....

#64 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Tobias Beecher @ Nov 3 2006, 04:13 PM) View Post

did u or did u not say what i'm gonna quote below?

u said it in another post....

yes i said that...is that not true? again, i think he is a old 28 and his body may be starting to break down..i think he has ALWAYS played hard..thats the nature of the kid...

we will agree to disagree

#65 Wanevaan

Wanevaan

RIP Gil Scott-Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Chingao! @ Nov 3 2006, 07:17 PM) View Post

lmao....how so??? Jordan didn't play ball as a teen or in his early 20s???  For someone who avg 35 last season I'd say he's just starting to hit his stride....

"Playing ball" and being an NBA player are two different things. The grind of playing over 100 games a season nearly half your career is going to take a toll. That's a fact. Why you and rudy would want to discuss this perplexes me.

I also disagree with the whole hitting his stride thing for the sole reason that he scored 35/game last season. I remember Kobe averaging 30 WITH a better Shaq, so scoring 35 without the diesel isn't as impressive to me, nor does it prove in any way that he's hitting his stride...

Edited by Wanevaan, 03 November 2006 - 04:58 PM.

#66 Chingao!

Chingao!

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(Wanevaan @ Nov 3 2006, 04:30 PM) View Post

a.."Playing ball" and being an NBA player are two different things. The grind of playing over 100 games a season nearly half your career is going to take a toll. That's a fact. Why you and rudy would want to discuss this perplexes me.

b...I also disagree with the whole hitting his stride thing for the sole reason that he scored 35/game last season. I remember Kobe averaging 30 WITH a better Shaq, so scoring 35 without the diesel isn't as impressive to me, nor does it prove in any way that he's hitting his stride...

a..Kareem Abdul Jabbar....ALWAYS took care of himself....nuff said...
b...I remember when people used to say Kobe only scored so much BECAUSE of Shaq...which when you now look at it...It was Shaqs presence that was holding him back...No more Shaq=Kobe hitting his stride...even though this year, I think he will tone it down a bit on the scoring side and garner  a career high in assists...

Edited by Chingao!, 03 November 2006 - 05:02 PM.

#67 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:05 PM

I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're in here talking about practice. I mean listen, we're talking about practice. Not a game . . . We're talking about practice. Not a game . . . that I go out there and die for, and play every game like it's my last. Not the game. We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example . . . I know it's important . . . I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man . . . We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game, we're talking about practice, man. When you come into the arena, and you see me play . . . you see me give everything I got, right? But we're talking about practice right now. We're talking about practice . . . We're not even talking about the game, the actual game, when it matters. We're talking about practice.

maybe AI was right  laugh.gif

#68 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:16 PM

ok u guys win.. he's old..  having said that, what does that make me?  cuz i play ball way more than 82 times a year up to 3 or 4 hours a day...and i run more than he does as well.. so does that make me old too?

#69 Wanevaan

Wanevaan

RIP Gil Scott-Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Chingao! @ Nov 3 2006, 07:36 PM) View Post

a..Kareem Abdul Jabbar....ALWAYS took care of himself....nuff said...
b...I remember when people used to say Kobe only scored so much BECAUSE of Shaq...which when you now look at it...It was Shaqs presence that was holding him back...No more Shaq=Kobe hitting his stride...even though this year, I think he will tone it down a bit on the scoring side and garner  a career high in assists...

a. I never brought up conditioning, so I don't know where you are going with that.

b. Shaq's presence helped Kobe IMO. What exactly was Shaq's presence holding Kobe back from? Scoring? Well yeah, he had all the room in the world to pull off his Dominique Wilkins impersonation last year.

QUOTE(Tobias Beecher @ Nov 3 2006, 07:51 PM) View Post

ok u guys win.. he's old..  having said that, what does that make me?  cuz i play ball way more than 82 times a year up to 3 or 4 hours a day...and i run more than he does as well.. so does that make me old too?

Old being a relative term here "basketball age" or more specifically "NBA age", if you will...

#70 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

rose a sun

wow..i really thought he was goin to the heat..i think he would have fit in better in miami..giving payton a spell..

where will he get minutes in phoenix? there pretty deep... i cant see him at his age runnin the floor..

Edited by Ron Champ Miller, 03 November 2006 - 06:11 PM.

#71 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

hahahaha. yall are taking this age issue a lil too far.... rose entered the league 2 years before nash.. damn....

#72 Wanevaan

Wanevaan

RIP Gil Scott-Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

Rose is a waste of a roster spot, but they got him for below bargain basement...

Get on the Cavs wagon now while there are still nonbelievers.

WAR CAVS!

Edited by Wanevaan, 03 November 2006 - 08:41 PM.

#73 PhillySteaks

PhillySteaks

MY MAN!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Jesus Christ(The Lord), Family, Boxing, Basketball & Football!

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

Sixers... 2-0  What is going on??????????

#74 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(PhillySteaks @ Nov 3 2006, 11:44 PM) View Post

Sixers... 2-0  What is going on??????????

look who we are playin..lol

kobe looked good last night....he actually elevated off that knee and dunked, something he didnt do last yr...
jesus looked good as well...

kobes timing was off and a bit rusty, but that will come w/play...

#75 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(Wanevaan @ Nov 4 2006, 04:15 AM) View Post

Rose is a waste of a roster spot, but they got him for below bargain basement...

Get on the Cavs wagon now while there are still nonbelievers.

WAR CAVS!

Do you watch basketball?

#76 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

for the record, i would like to say i dont "hate" kobe..or any athlete for that matter....
i have a problem with myopic fans(cub fans esp.) who think their team is going to win the the title, when they really have no shot...i know my teams suck, and have no problem admitting that...i know the eagles are  not goin to the sb, the sixers are not goin to the NBA finals..the phillies suck..i dont get wrapped up like some fans..does that make me a fairweather fan? i dont think so...like a wise man once told me, "i'm not a FANatic, i'm a fan of the team....same here...

i'm more of a 'players' fan....jordan, pete rose, etc....i like players over teams

i've been following the lakers since 94 when i came out here...and b4 that, i followed them as my dad was a big celtics fan...

i appreciated their 3 peat..you have to be a great team to do that....i followed/bet them when they beat portland/suckramento..routed for them....

..but i also followed the phil/kobe/shaq wars to know a bit more about them...learned alot about kobe that i didnt know....its different when you live in the city of the team....for instance, my boy phillysteaks told me things about Dnabb i never knew...i'm a huge eagles fan, but i'm not in philly so i didnt know...same as here in LA...

i used to be a big kobe fan..but after everything that has happened(i dont have to rehash things again, for the 1000th time) i just dont like him....i have a different view on kobe....i'll leave it at that...

great talent? sure..i never said he wasnt..

its just my opinion i dont think he will win another title..just like dnabb wont win..

i said the same things about the yankees(another team i follow) after 2001...

thats not hate, thats just facts...

#77 Wanevaan

Wanevaan

RIP Gil Scott-Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(Mark I @ Nov 4 2006, 08:47 AM) View Post

Do you watch basketball?

My pick out the East still bothering you?

I just think the Cavs will get there, that's just my opinion.

It's not crazy neither, least I don't think so. The Pistons were taken to the brink by the LeBrons who had his first playoff run. This without a healthy Larry Hughes, though not elite, is a good scorer and very good perimeter defender. They also lost Ben Wallace and replaced him with Nazr Mohammad (enough said). Sheed is horridly inconsistent.

The Heat are/were a one and done team. I just do not see them getting to the finals with the squad they have right now with NO offseason moves of note. Walker is such a liabilty on BOTH ends of the floor, Payton can't keep up with the young guns anymore, Shaq has an inability to consistently get up and down the floor, Williams can't guard anybody. They put it all together last year despite these problems, which is why they won't do it again. They're old.

Edited by Wanevaan, 04 November 2006 - 09:29 AM.

#78 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(Ron Champ Miller @ Nov 4 2006, 09:04 AM) View Post

great talent? sure..i never said he wasnt..

"kobe sux"

remember that? laugh.gif   and i am NOT a kobe fan.. shit i used to hate the lakers, but i think it was more with shaq being there.. i just don't like the fella...  me not liking shaq makes me want kobe to win... but not once have i ever said shaq sux.... shit, if i had a choice of building a team in the league with 3 people, he'd be one of the 3.... i just think kobe get a lot of unfair criticism around here like mayweather and any other athelete that a lot of u don't like... shit i hate roid jones(this is no secret) but i aint ever said he wasn't the best in his era.... not once.... it's ok to hate, but don't let your hate allow u to type boewwlshit that will make u look like an azz....

#79 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(Tobias Beecher @ Nov 4 2006, 10:29 AM) View Post

"kobe sux"
remember that? laugh.gif   and i am NOT a kobe fan.. shit i used to hate the lakers, but i think it was more with shaq being there.. i just don't like the fella...  me not liking shaq makes me want kobe to win... but not once have i ever said shaq sux.... shit, if i had a choice of building a team in the league with 3 people, he'd be one of the 3.... i just think kobe get a lot of unfair criticism around here like mayweather and any other athelete that a lot of u don't like... shit i hate roid jones(this is no secret) but i aint ever said he wasn't the best in his era.... not once.... it's ok to hate, but don't let your hate allow u to type boewwlshit that will make u look like an azz....

dude, dont take things literally...

#80 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:36 PM

why not?  if u say "i'm gay"... why am i not to believe u mean that?

#81 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Tobias Beecher @ Nov 4 2006, 12:11 PM) View Post

why not?  if u say "i'm gay"... why am i not to believe u mean that?

just curious.whats your obsession with kobe.?

i've also said mcnabb sux, eagles suck, sixers suck, phillies suck...just wondering why you havent said anything about that?

#82 PhillySteaks

PhillySteaks

MY MAN!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Jesus Christ(The Lord), Family, Boxing, Basketball & Football!

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hands down….. Kobe is the truth minus all the personal Shaq, rape situation......   You can not deny his skills... He has great offense and plays defense!   He is the truth!

#83 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Ron Champ Miller @ Nov 4 2006, 03:23 PM) View Post

just curious.whats your obsession with kobe.?

i've also said mcnabb sux, eagles suck, sixers suck, phillies suck...just wondering why you havent said anything about that?

I've always hated the mf, but i will not come up here and act like he aint great cuz i don't like him personally... same with roid jones, same with peyton manning..... if i don't like someone then fine.. that's ok.. people can like who they wanna, but when u start saying shit like the best player in the league sux and discrediting achievements, then i have to defend... btw, i don't watch football at all, but if the old board was up, i have defended roid as well to people claiming he is overrated and never accomplished anything...... my obbsession isn't with kobe, it's with blind haters....

and stoudamire had 5 points last night... as much as it pains me to say this, he is this era's ralph sampson...

#84 brotherNAMELESS

brotherNAMELESS

The Duke of Cocks

• VIP- Nameless
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

Kobe is HANDS DOWN the best player in the NBA. If you don't think he is...tell me why he's not because there are enough stats, and championships behind the man to prove it.

#85 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

best player in the NBA is kobe? imo, no
i would take duncan, nash, dwade

bron bron is a bit too young...and green..
but he could be better than kobe...

#86 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:47 PM

ok can someone tell me who da hell was talking about wade before shaq got to miami?  cuz i've been a member of this site since 2003 and i aint ever heard his name mentioned here til shaq got there.... i remember when he was at marquette.. they came here to greenville and got upset by ECU on senior night...  don't think wade is the best player in the league, but he's top 5.. he has to prove to me he can carry a team.... i refuse to believe wade with the lakers last year would have reached the playoffs... nash would have though.... i know laker fans are glad kwame brown is injured... that's the only reason they have been winning...

btw nice sig ron.. u do know that play is what led to shaq fouling out on Christmas day right?

#87 Wanevaan

Wanevaan

RIP Gil Scott-Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

In Wade's defense, he only had his rookie year without Shaq and he made the playoffs with an old Eddie Jones and Lamar Odom.

Wade averaged around 16 points his rookie year and I think 23 his second year. The 7 PPG difference is partly due to Shaq, but I think he could have pulled around 20 PPG without Shaq though. I think he would have naturally progressed, just not as quickly.

Edited by Wanevaan, 04 November 2006 - 06:25 PM.

#88 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

and that i agree with.. shaq(a mf i hate more than anyone in the league) makes people better.... kobe wouldn't have progressed as much as he did if it weren't for shaq... nick anderson even scored 50 in a game with the magic(that was overshadowed by shaq tearing the whole backboard down in nj that night).. dennis scott averaged around 15 a game and people always thought penny was just this bad mf(i never liked him either.. i always thought he was soft and only was good with shaq.. he proved me right)... so shaq is the key factor in wade/kobe's success... kobe has proven he can play without shaq(something anderson, penny, scott, damon jones, derek fisher, and many others haven't) and it's up to wade to prove he can also when shaq retires.. but i don't think wade will have a problem cuz he's one of the best in the league.....

#89 Ron Champ Miller

Ron Champ Miller

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

again, thinkin about it, what makes someone the best player? scoring, winning? leadership? championships? etc etc etc

too broad, imo

#90 Phillip Drummond

Phillip Drummond

Mr. D

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

if u don't think leading those pieces of shit lakers to teh 7th seed in the playoffs is great, then what is? don't be like other shaq fans fronting like kwame brown is just a misunderstood player that doesn't get the ball.. i know better.. i actually watch the games instead of sportscenter highlights....

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users