The Official Money/Canelo prediction thread

111 replies to this topic

Poll: Money/Canelo (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will be "The One"?

1. Floyd (18 votes [78.26%])

Percentage of vote: 78.26%

2. Canelo (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. Draw (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. Controversial ending (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

5. Neo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 kc40

kc40

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

I don't know why people criticize Canelo for not having an alternate game plan.  He actually did try to pressure Floyd more as the rounds went by, which of course ended up in getting hit more.  Canelo did what he could do in there; he is not a pressure fighter.  Anybody who had seen him fight a few times shouldn't be surprised.  In the interview, Canelo points to how Floyd would catch him and that, even though he didn't feel much power in the punches, they stopped him in his tracks.  End of story.

#92 DJA

DJA

Building a working margin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postkc40, on 20 September 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

I don't know why people criticize Canelo for not having an alternate game plan.  He actually did try to pressure Floyd more as the rounds went by, which of course ended up in getting hit more.  Canelo did what he could do in there; he is not a pressure fighter.  Anybody who had seen him fight a few times shouldn't be surprised.  In the interview, Canelo points to how Floyd would catch him and that, even though he didn't feel much power in the punches, they stopped him in his tracks.  End of story.
Canelo's only hope was to just keep firing punches and even if they landed on Floyd's arms, just try to steal rounds with activity.  The judges were clearly ready to throw the fight to him.

#93 RAWDOGG69STYLE

RAWDOGG69STYLE

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Family...Boxing...MMA...Raiders...Lakers...Drinking...Blazing...Traveling

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostDJA, on 20 September 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Canelo's only hope was to just keep firing punches and even if they landed on Floyd's arms, just try to steal rounds with activity.  The judges were clearly ready to throw the fight to him.

I agree...this fight was his for tha taking but playing floyds game for 12 straight rounds isnt gonna get it done...i saw an increase in pressure at round six but hell this is for all tha marbles...castillo layed out a great blueprint canelo has all the tools necessary to execute it...size speed power defense a body attack...tha gamelan was what cost him...shit goosen was on youtube sayin tha same thing to seckback.

#94 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Won't Canelo's non performacne hurt his rep in Mexico?  He is far too complacent for a nation with a history of warriors.  He was the youngest and most hyped opponent, yet Guerrero, Ortiz, DLH all put up more spirited efforts.  

Maybe Canelo can spar Trout again.  That fight was super gay

Edited by Jaxamillian, 20 September 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#95 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness and unconsciousness.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

I fell asleep during after Garcia and Matthysse. Truth.

#96 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Long time no see, prod!

#97 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

View Postprodigious1, on 20 September 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

I fell asleep during after Garcia and Matthysse. Truth.
Me too

#98 DJA

DJA

Building a working margin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostRAWDOGG69STYLE, on 20 September 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

I agree...this fight was his for tha taking but playing floyds game for 12 straight rounds isnt gonna get it done...i saw an increase in pressure at round six but hell this is for all tha marbles...castillo layed out a great blueprint canelo has all the tools necessary to execute it...size speed power defense a body attack...tha gamelan was what cost him...shit goosen was on youtube sayin tha same thing to seckback.
Raw, you're still seeing things in Canelo that aren't there, but I respect that you're still on his bandwagon even after the L

#99 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Canelo sucks. garcia sucks. matthyse sucks.

Edited by Jaxamillian, 21 September 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#100 pcaz23

pcaz23

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:obviously boxing, mets baseball/yankee hater/knick hater/jordan fanatic/

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

after watching the fight again I thought canelo fought really well..i can even see someone giving him a lot of the early rounds. 1st half he was on even playing field with Floyd. but crashed and burned second half,making people forget how ell he fought early

#101 indio1

indio1

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

i don't need to watch it again to find more rounds to gift wrap for canelo. The only rounds i may give him are the 2nd and the last. Much like dlh, canelo has that "it" factor where fans get excited just for him throwing punches. Whether or not he hits something, it does not matter to his fans, and apparently to the judges.

#102 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

View Postindio1, on 22 September 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

i don't need to watch it again to find more rounds to gift wrap for canelo. The only rounds i may give him are the 2nd and the last. Much like dlh, canelo has that "it" factor where fans get excited just for him throwing punches. Whether or not he hits something, it does not matter to his fans, and apparently to the judges.

Yeah, I didn't give him any rounds and I'm not watching it again to find 2 or 3 for him.

#103 pcaz23

pcaz23

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:obviously boxing, mets baseball/yankee hater/knick hater/jordan fanatic/

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

View Postindio1, on 22 September 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

I hear you. I watched it again to watch Floyd do his thing. was great to watch. Not a canelo fan ,just saying he fought well early.

#104 kc40

kc40

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

The fact that Canelo was competitive in the first few rounds doesn't mean he was winning them.   I really don't get how some people gave him more than two rounds.  And if you have Canelo winning four rounds, you must be a Floyd hater, sorry (thinking of Doug Fisher here, who has some insane fixation with Floyd).

Edited by kc40, 24 September 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#105 Monzon

Monzon

Monzon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

View Postkc40, on 24 September 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

The fact that Canelo was competitive in the first few rounds doesn't mean he was winning them.   I really don't get how some people gave him more than two rounds.  And if you have Canelo winning four rounds, you must be a Floyd hater, sorry (thinking of Doug Fisher here, who has some insane fixation with Floyd).

I don't think Doug hates Floyd.  I think that may have been more of an effort by Doug to defend his longshot pick of Canelo.  Sort of a "I'm not crazy, Canelo made a good fight of it and won 4 of the 12 rounds" thing.

2 or 3 rounds for Canelo seems about right.  If you gave every benefit of the doubt to Floyd, you might have scored it a whitewash.  Giving every benefit of the doubt to Canelo, maybe he gets 4 rounds.  I thought the early rounds were close - but like you I had Floyd winning most of them.  The last half of the fight Canelo was totally ineffective.

Edited by Monzon, 27 September 2013 - 05:48 AM.

#106 kc40

kc40

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostMonzon, on 27 September 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

I don't think Doug hates Floyd.  I think that may have been more of an effort by Doug to defend his longshot pick of Canelo.  Sort of a "I'm not crazy, Canelo made a good fight of it and won 4 of the 12 rounds" thing.

2 or 3 rounds for Canelo seems about right.  If you gave every benefit of the doubt to Floyd, you might have scored it a whitewash.  Giving every benefit of the doubt to Canelo, maybe he gets 4 rounds.  I thought the early rounds were close - but like you I had Floyd winning most of them.  The last half of the fight Canelo was totally ineffective.

You're right in terms of the scoring, though it is very difficult for me to see more than 3 rounds for Canelo.  Anyhow, I won't be seeing the fight again, not fun enough to obsess over Canelo winning x number of rounds.  

But you're wrong about Dougie.  I like his work, but when it comes to Mayweather he brings negative obsession to a whole new level.   He hammers away continually against his place in boxing history and almost always disregards him in mythical matchups.  He has Margarito beating him, for instance.  I'm sorry, but that's just plain blindness.   If Cotto-not the best ring general nor the fastest guy-was able to outbox Marg for a few rounds until his average stamina let him down, Mayweather would be able to do the same for 12 rounds.    Also see the case of Daniel Santos.   Perhaps Dougie thinks Margarito was the second coming of Castillo, but nope, sorry, not at all.

#107 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Khan does better against May than Canelo.  He would take some rounds until Mayweather adjusted to the handspeed.  And at least he would fight with some balls.

#108 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'd enjoy a May-Khan fight in England.  I bet it happens.  Canelo and Khan- can't complain about those two fights.  Though I can complain on how much of a dud Canelo was after the fact.

#109 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Khan's hand speed is ancient history.

#110 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

View Postboyakasha!, on 27 September 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Khan's hand speed is ancient history.

Khan is a beast, guarantee he wins more rounds than Canelo, ie. more than zero rounds.

#111 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostMonzon, on 27 September 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

I don't think Doug hates Floyd.  

He most certainly does.

#112 perfectjet