Mayweather Able To Fight in May, Prison Delay To June

Mayweather Pacquiao May 5 Fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. Money Maywaether PBF Pacman

35 replies to this topic

#1 JLop

JLop

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Undefeated boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Friday avoided jail time until June 1 in a Las Vegas domestic violence case involving an attack on his ex-girlfriend while two of their children watched in September 2010.

Mayweather, 34, had been scheduled to turn himself in Friday to begin serving a 90-day sentence imposed last month.

Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa said she weighed Mayweather's contractual obligations to a fight set for May at MGM Grand in Las Vegas against an as-yet unnamed opponent.

Mayweather's lawyer Richard Wright had pleaded with the judge to allow Mayweather to fulfill commitments regarding the fight, emphasizing the economic benefit to Las Vegas when Mayweather fights.

Mayweather pleaded guilty Dec. 21 to a reduced battery domestic violence charge and no contest to two harassment charges.

The plea deal saw prosecutors drop felony and misdemeanor charges that could have gotten Mayweather 34 years in prison.

Authorities say the case stems from a hair-pulling, punching and arm-twisting argument with Josie Harris, the mother of three of Mayweather's children, and threats to beat their sons in an argument about Harris dating another man. Harris, now 31, lives in the Los Angeles area with the couple's sons, now 12 and 10, and a daughter age 8.

Mayweather has earned upward of $20 million for his most recent fights against Victor Ortiz, which won him the WBC welterweight belt, and Shane Mosley.

Mayweather is generally recognized as one of the two best boxers in the world, sharing that spotlight with Manny Pacquiao.

Jail time is expected to limit training for a possible Cinco de Mayo date for a fight in Las Vegas, where Mayweather's management reserved a May 5 date at the MGM Grand Garden Arena for a possible fight.

Source: http://www.boxingsce...lay-june--48202

#2 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Tim Tebow prayed that this would happen.

There will be no Money/Pac fight in May.  Floyd will go to jail for exactly 11 days before being released early due to overcrowding.

#3 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

Treat your mother right!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hey Nevada, I have to work on May 5th as well.  Can I have a get out of jail free card too?

#4 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostClubber Lang, on 06 January 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Hey Nevada, I have to work on May 5th as well.  Can I have a get out of jail free card too?

I'm sure you could if you could boost the city of las vegas economy for a weekend.

seriously tho.

What's next? Why can't arum stop being such a pussy and let his pet dog fight floyd already? I don't even want to see either guy fight again until its against the other. I'm tired of all the mis-matches, or taking on random yet relevant opponents. These guys just need to fight already.

This shit is worst then the NBA & NFL lockout.

#5 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Because arum and his self appointed side kick koncz want all the money in house.

Edited by perfectjet, 06 January 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#6 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness and unconsciousness.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Anyone have any idea where Pac and Floyd could be heading next? I mean, they're both fresh outta obvious opponents and they're not gonna fight each other.

Does Team Pac really take a chance on JMM or Bradley? Not after the recent scare. Cotto rematch makes a lot of sense in terms of money, I guess, but Cotto isn't exactly gonna come cheap either, and not many want to see it again.

Maybe they take a hard look at Peterson- got a big win lately, comes cheap, young, strong and most important, he's not as dangerous as the others.

I hope Pac and Floyd one day do for a younger fighter what Oscar did for them- get beat up.

#7 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

Floyd v canelo may 5 cinco de mayo is the hot guess right now.

Id like a pac v cotto rematch. Id givea cotto a rousing chance. But what weight?

Edited by perfectjet, 06 January 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#8 Smarts

Smarts

The Go To Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

I bet Floyd fights Canelo, especially cuz it's on May 5. And read Schaefer's quotes about the situation:

Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, said simply “Yes,” when asked if 21-year-old star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is a possibility.
Golden Boy promotes Alvarez, the 21-year-old World Boxing Council super welterweight champion, and has promoted Mayweather’s last five bouts. Alvarez, who is 39-0-1, is hugely popular among Mexicans and Mexican-Americans, and has been pining for a bout with Mayweather for several years. He talked of meeting Mayweather, who is 42-0, when he was only a teenager.
“Canelo very much wants the fight, I can promise you that,” Schaefer said.

Schaefer said it was his hope to have made a fight with Pacquiao, but he said he began to look in other directions when he became convinced Arum wasn’t interested.
“If you talk to 20 boxing experts, all 20 will tell you that Floyd Mayweather Jr. would beat Manny Pacquiao and would probably do it easily,” Schaefer said. “If you are Bob, why risk Pacquiao in that fight? I don’t blame him, honestly, when he has other options and he controls both sides and he controls the promotion. I don’t blame him for that.
“We were looking for the biggest fight possible and that would have been Mayweather versus Pacquiao. But Bob made it clear after the Marquez fight that Manny wouldn’t be available in May and retired federal judge Daniel Weinstein [who has arbitrated disputes between the sides] told us that, contrary to what Bob has been saying in the media, that Top Rank wasn’t interested in making a fight with Mayweather.”

http://sports.yahoo....ed_fight_010612

#9 SenseFullViolence

SenseFullViolence

No mames

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

canelo makes too much money fighting chumps to feed him to Money IMO

#10 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

all the sports writers on twitter are saying floyd vs canelo is most likely...

as far as pac they are saying lamont peterson has a very good chance of getting the nod

#11 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

Tommy Hearns did roids, seriously.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

If Floyd fights Canelo, he will carry him like he did Marquez for Golden Boy.  He'll beat him but he won't beat the tar out of him.

#12 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

floyd should do a decision show like lebron where he chooses his opponent.

it will be more exciting than anyone he fights unless he randomly selects sergio martinez

#13 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Guerrero will be healthy soon...

#14 RAWDOGG69STYLE

RAWDOGG69STYLE

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Family...Boxing...MMA...Raiders...Lakers...Drinking...Blazing...Traveling

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Canelo vs Mayweather is huge...PBF would be crazy not to tk tha fight...other opponents like tha Ghost or Peterson wouldn't do enuf PPV or fill tha seats...Canelo would have tha fans kicking down tha door to get in tha venue...vegas wouldn't have a hotel room available because of all tha media n fans who want to be in sin city for fight week...I know my bdays may 7 my wifes may 4th and if tha fight gets made me n my whole fam will be out there to tk part in tha festivities.

#15 walk with me

walk with me

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

rumor floating around that cotto may get the nod

#16 dyls

dyls

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

This is stating the obvious, but Canelo seems absurdly green to be facing Mayweather.

#17 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postdyls, on 06 January 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

This is stating the obvious, but Canelo seems absurdly green to be facing Mayweather.

Regardless the Canelo-has-a-real-shot crowd will starting popping up all over the place.

#18 perfectjet

perfectjet

perfect jet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

Smel,

Is arum holding up the fight?

#19 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

View Postperfectjet, on 06 January 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

Smel,

Smel is a Pac hugger so he will blame Floyd.

#20 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

View Postperfectjet, on 06 January 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

Smel,

Dunno, if behind closed doors Pac told Bob he doesn't want the fight, would Arum behave any differently?

#21 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostSmelodies, on 06 January 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Dunno, if behind closed doors Pac told Bob he doesn't want the fight, would Arum behave any differently?

Neither guy wants the fight.  I have said many times that Pac has the power to tell Arum to make the fight or else.   The reason I blame Arum is that he can make a pretty compelling deal to Pac and Pac would say fuck it and take the fight. The problem is that he isn't even trying.

#22 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostDetroitMex, on 06 January 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Neither guy wants the fight.  I have said many times that Pac has the power to tell Arum to make the fight or else.   The reason I blame Arum is that he can make a pretty compelling deal to Pac and Pac would say fuck it and take the fight. The problem is that he isn't even trying.

You are right.

#23 DJA

DJA

Building a working margin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostDetroitMex, on 06 January 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

The hate between Arum and Mayweather is so pure that it has obliterated a $100M fight.  Gotta stand back and admire anything that pure, IMO.

WAR Canelo and Cotto to ruin 2012 for both of these fools.

#24 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

View Postprodigious1, on 06 January 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

Anyone have any idea where Pac and Floyd could be heading next? I mean, they're both fresh outta obvious opponents and they're not gonna fight each other.

Does Team Pac really take a chance on JMM or Bradley? Not after the recent scare. Cotto rematch makes a lot of sense in terms of money, I guess, but Cotto isn't exactly gonna come cheap either, and not many want to see it again.

Maybe they take a hard look at Peterson- got a big win lately, comes cheap, young, strong and most important, he's not as dangerous as the others.

I hope Pac and Floyd one day do for a younger fighter what Oscar did for them- get beat up.

Floyd/Cotto & Pac/Peterson is my guess.

#25 Smarts

Smarts

The Go To Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

View Postwalk with me, on 06 January 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

it will be more exciting than anyone he fights unless he randomly selects sergio martinez

Note happening. Lou Dibella tweeted yesterday that his several messages to the Mayweather team went unanswered. He said it's obvious they Sergio is not getting the fight.

#26 Bubba

Bubba

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

From Dan Rafael:
It was just this week that Arum said he would go to the Philippines to meet with Pacquiao and present him with the names of four possible opponents for May or June: Miguel Cotto, Marquez, Lamont Peterson and Timothy Bradley Jr.
Arum figured Mayweather would be in jail and off the table. Now that Mayweather is available and seemingly would like to make the match, Arum suddenly isn't interested.
He used the lame excuse of the cut Pacquiao suffered against Marquez, saying he might not be ready for May. (I've never heard of a cut taking more than six months to heal.) However, earlier this week, when Arum thought Mayweather would be on ice behind bars, he said there was a good possibility Pacquiao would fight in May.

From BoxingScene:
Mayweather's cornerman Nate Jones...also feels May 5 would be pushing the envelope a little too fast for such a huge fight. "I just think Floyd wants a little more time to get ready. We'll probably need more time. Get everything done with the business and start training for the fight. We'd like a little more space in between. Ain't no rush to fight a big fight like that."

This is sad and pathetic.

#27 Smarts

Smarts

The Go To Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

According to this recent article, Pac said that he was glad that Mayweather's sentence was delayed because a fight with PBF would be "a better fight". Arum "was surprised" that Pac would favor a match against PBF rather than the other four choices. Bullshit. Arum is the main person from keeping this fight from happening.

http://www.fightnews...loyd-but-105562

#28 1 Punch Crunch

1 Punch Crunch

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostBubba, on 07 January 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

From Dan Rafael:
It was just this week that Arum said he would go to the Philippines to meet with Pacquiao and present him with the names of four possible opponents for May or June: Miguel Cotto, Marquez, Lamont Peterson and Timothy Bradley Jr.
Arum figured Mayweather would be in jail and off the table. Now that Mayweather is available and seemingly would like to make the match, Arum suddenly isn't interested.
He used the lame excuse of the cut Pacquiao suffered against Marquez, saying he might not be ready for May. (I've never heard of a cut taking more than six months to heal.) However, earlier this week, when Arum thought Mayweather would be on ice behind bars, he said there was a good possibility Pacquiao would fight in May.

From BoxingScene:
Mayweather's cornerman Nate Jones...also feels May 5 would be pushing the envelope a little too fast for such a huge fight. "I just think Floyd wants a little more time to get ready. We'll probably need more time. Get everything done with the business and start training for the fight. We'd like a little more space in between. Ain't no rush to fight a big fight like that."

This is sad and pathetic.

4 months isn't long enough prep time?

We'll all be better  off when these two dudes retire.

#29 Pernell_Fan

Pernell_Fan

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 07 January 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Floyd/Cotto & Pac/Peterson is my guess.

If God is with Lamont, we won't see a Pac/Peterson fight. Please Lord no!

I'm from the DMV and a Lamont fan, but he has no shot. I'd rather see Tim Bradley vs Pac because Tim has a small chance to will his way to a victory and use his inside/pressure fighting.

Lamont can't win with his style.

#30 Kyle97

Kyle97

The Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:Boxing and MMORPG's

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostPernell_Fan, on 07 January 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

If God is with Lamont, we won't see a Pac/Peterson fight. Please Lord no!

I'm from the DMV and a Lamont fan, but he has no shot. I'd rather see Tim Bradley vs Pac because Tim has a small chance to will his way to a victory and use his inside/pressure fighting.

Lamont can't win with his style.

Agreed on the Bradley front. I think its a bad style match up for Pac. Don't know about Peterson. I think Roach wanting revenge may be blinding him to the potential threat there. I mean, its still the same Peterson who has melted down in the past. So I wouldn't be surprised if he does it again a la Mayweather-Ortiz. One good fight is a step in the right direction for redemption, but you'd think the boxing public wore out its welcome for headcases with Ortiz kiss in the ring. Peterson-Bradley would be good. Even a rematch with Khan. I know their the pinnacle of the sport right now, but why rush? Plenty of good fights to be made.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mayweather, Pacquiao, May 5, Fight, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Money Maywaether, PBF, Pacman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users