Newtown CT Shooting

114 replies to this topic

#31 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postboner, on 20 December 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

offer incentive to turn them in. after that, they're illegal, and possession/use, even in obvious self defense, is punishable. banning guns wouldn't make guns disappear, and wouldn't end mass shootings, but it would make them less commonplace
You are a welcome addition to the USA, boner. Glad you're here. We should allow folks 3 months to trade in their pistols and automatic rifles for some cash. After 90 days, anybody caught with anything besides a shotgun or a hunting rifle (no clips, only 4 in the chamber) should be arrested.

#32 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

My brother has an AR15 and several other crazy guns, and he is a peaceful guy who just likes to shoot watermelons and shit. He should find another hobby, if outlawing such guns will save lives on a national level.

#33 sunfish

sunfish

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

How would amnesty for 6 months on anything that isn't a hunting rifle or shotgun, 2 year prison sentence if you don't comply go down?

Just asking, not trolling.

#34 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness and unconsciousness.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

A country that is ALWAYS AT WAR has a gun-nutty, unhappy, unbalanced population?

No. I won't believe it.

The solution to the problem is much larger and more difficult than tighter gun laws.

#35 boner

boner

resident anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

View Postboyakasha!, on 20 December 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

You are a welcome addition to the USA, boner. Glad you're here. We should allow folks 3 months to trade in their pistols and automatic rifles for some cash. After 90 days, anybody caught with anything besides a shotgun or a hunting rifle (no clips, only 4 in the chamber) should be arrested.

sounds good to me

#36 boner

boner

resident anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

View Postsunfish, on 20 December 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

How would amnesty for 6 months on anything that isn't a hunting rifle or shotgun, 2 year prison sentence if you don't comply go down?

Just asking, not trolling.

prolly not too well. population is brainwashed into a might is right, watch out for terrorists mentality, just as it's brainwashed that success in life is having the power (money) to buy and consume.

the main thing is that, despite the usual rhetoric, the government doesn't want to change a thing. if the gun culture is questioned, the wars, weapons exports, US empire in general, could be next.

#37 boner

boner

resident anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

View Postprodigious1, on 20 December 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

A country that is ALWAYS AT WAR has a gun-nutty, unhappy, unbalanced population?

No. I won't believe it.

The solution to the problem is much larger and more difficult than tighter gun laws.

no doubt about that, but gun laws would be a quick and effective start

#38 Muttley85

Muttley85

Belt Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

View Postprodigious1, on 20 December 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

No. I won't believe it.

We've spent more time at war than the US over the last century and we aren't that bad, but yeah I think there are more contributing factors that don't help as well.

#39 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

My mom thinks all teachers should be armed. LOL

#40 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

That guy.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

View Postboyakasha!, on 16 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

You've really never fired a gun?

Nope, I'm Canadian, not really our style.

#41 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

That guy.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostBone Marrow, on 17 December 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

From a theoretical point of view I see your point, but if you look at it pragmatically, in a democracy, letting police etc. carry guns and not letting general public have access to guns seems to work. It works pretty well in about every country with very strict rules on weapon possesions. I'm ready to give up on a lot of what should be my right If it saves 10000 lives a year. I know people call it personal protection, but looking at the stats, disallowing weapons is the best piece of personal protection any american could ask for. There are many things that certain sections of the state have monopoly on. Doctors have monopoly on prescribing hard drugs. Dangerous things cant be handled by just anyone, drugs are one of those things, guns is another. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure the amount of gun deaths per year, though the total is around 15,500 for any type of murder. Sure it's a problem but I wonder what percentage of those deaths were the result of legal firearm possession. It takes a lot to become an MD, and I won't even get into the FDA or how doctors overprescribe, as well as perscribe drugs that haven't even been sufficiently tested. Police officers and people in the national guard are just anyone. There is nothing impressive about their education, their impulse control, etc. I don't fear a general public that is armed. In an ideal society, I wouldn't want anyone to be armed. However, the reality is, "bad guys" can find weapons. The police, can only "protect" you but so much.

#42 Wiggles

Wiggles

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

kinda hate how this whole thing turned into a conversation about gun control, as it always seems to do.  if there's no guns, dude sets the school on fire, and still kills dozens.  what then, we're talking about stricter bic control?  problem is the US culture of violence, and the lack of a safety net and adequate understanding/treatment for the mentally ill.  of course, you can't legislate these issues away, so I guess that's why we're here.

#43 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

A sick person made a series of horrible decisions. He will pay, one way or another.

Guns are an instrument of war. America is about war and selfishness. So you'll get sick people like this guy.

If we are looking at gun control issues, why not spend equal time on mental issues? I wonder what percentage of the US population is on anti-depression or anti-anxiety medication? Whatever the number is... that ain't normal.

Which is not to say that you are crazy or whatever if you have a problem with those issues. I think most of us have at some point. When you try to understand why, then the size of the problem sets in.

There is a certain sickness in our world that tries to separate us. Tries to convince us that we are  not brothers and sisters. That we aren't all connected to each other. It's a society that encourages selfishness. The person who committed this act was extremely selfish and completely detached from mankind.

The unhealthy world we live in plays a part, as it will inevitably show us the most extreme cases of sickness. But the individual is the one responsible for his own choices. It's likely that he has spent a lifetime choosing darkness, and this is the result.

FTR: I have never touched or fired a gun. Probably never will.

Edited by prodigious1, 22 December 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#44 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

View Postprodigious1, on 22 December 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

FTR: I have never touched or fired a gun. Probably never will.

I fired a .22 long rife a couple times, some kind of junior high initiation weekend and then maybe a year later at summer camp. Didn't do much for me. I preferred archery.

#45 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

I have a german shepherd/akita.

#46 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

View Postprodigious1, on 22 December 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Have you guys got archery up there? It's a staple of our summer camps, or was when I was a kid.

#47 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

View Postprodigious1, on 22 December 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Probably a smart dog, but quirky and funny.

Gonna bite some kid's face off in the near future.

#48 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

hahaha i don't think she'd go for the face.

and of course we have archery. i wasn't good. lol

oh, i once shot a pretty serious potato cannon. does that count as a firearm?

#49 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

That guy.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostWiggles, on 22 December 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

kinda hate how this whole thing turned into a conversation about gun control, as it always seems to do.  if there's no guns, dude sets the school on fire, and still kills dozens.  what then, we're talking about stricter bic control?  problem is the US culture of violence, and the lack of a safety net and adequate understanding/treatment for the mentally ill.  of course, you can't legislate these issues away, so I guess that's why we're here.

Agree overall with your post.

#50 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

SALES SURGE
AP, Posted: 12/29/12 9:34 AM
Updated: 12/29/12 1:09 PM

NEW YORK -- The phones at Red's Trading Post wouldn't stop ringing. Would-be customers from as far away as New York wanted to know if the Twin Falls, Idaho gun shop had firearms in stock. Others clamored to find out if their orders had been shipped.

Overwhelmed, gun store manager Ryan Horsley had to do what no employee would ever think of doing just days before Christmas: He disconnected the phone lines for three whole days.

"We had to shut everything off," says Horsley, whose family has owned Red's Trading Post, the state's oldest gun shop, since 1936. "We were swamped in the store and online."

The phones at gun shops across the country are ringing off the hook. Demand for firearms, ammunition and bulletproof gear has surged since the Dec. 14 massacre in Newtown, Conn., that took the lives of 20 schoolchildren and six teachers and administrators. The shooting sparked calls for tighter gun control measures, especially for military-style assault weapons like the ones used in Newtown and in the Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooting earlier this year. The prospect of a possible weapons ban has sent gun enthusiasts into a panic and sparked a frenzy of buying at stores and gun dealers nationwide.

Assault rifles are sold out across the country. Rounds of .223 bullets, like those used in the AR-15 type Bushmaster rifle used in Newtown, are scarce. Stores are struggling to restock their shelves. Gun and ammunition makers are telling retailers they will have to wait months to get more.

Store owners who have been in the business for years say they have never seen demand like this before.

When asked how much sales have increased in the past few weeks, Horsley just laughed.

"We haven't even had a chance to look at it," he says. Horsley spends his days calling manufacturers around the country trying to buy more items for the store. Mainly, they tell him he has to wait.

Franklin Armory, a firearm maker in Morgan Hill, Calif., is telling dealers that it will take six months to fulfill their orders. The company plans to hire more workers and buy more machines to catch up, says Franklin Armory's President Jay Jacobson.

The shortage is leaving many would-be gun owners empty handed.

William Kotis went to a gun show in Winston-Salem, N.C., last weekend hoping to buy a rifle for target shooting. Almost everything was sold out.

"Assault rifles were selling like crazy," says Kotis, who is president and CEO of Kotis Holdings, a real estate development company based in Greensboro. "People are stockpiling."

He left without buying anything.

Luke Orlando's parents were able to get him the 12-gauge shotgun he wanted for Christmas to bird hunt, but his uncle wasn't as lucky.

"At Christmas dinner, my uncle expressed outrage that after waiting six months to use his Christmas bonus to purchase an AR-15, they are sold out and back ordered over a year," says Orlando, 18, a student at the University of Texas.

No organization publicly releases gun sales data. The only way to measure demand is by the number of background checks that are conducted when someone wants to buy a firearm. Those numbers are released by the Federal Reserve Bureau every month. Data for December is not out yet. But the Federal Bureau of Investigation says that it did 16.8 million firearm background checks as of the end of November, up more than 2 percent from a year ago.

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation, which handles background checks for the state, can't keep up with the number of requests it is getting. The bureau has pulled staff from other units and increased its hours, says spokesperson Susan Medina.

Many firearm dealers and manufacturers say that Obama's comments since the Newtown school shooting are driving demand.

James Zimmerman of SelwayArmory.com, a website that sells guns, ammunition and knives, says that sales really took off on Dec. 19 after President Barack Obama held a White House press conference announcing that Vice President Joe Biden would lead a team tasked with coming up with "concrete proposals" to curb gun violence.

That day, one customer ordered 32,000 rounds of ammunition from SelwayArmory.com, worth close to $18,000. The order had to be shipped from the company's Lolo, Mont., office to Kentucky on a freight truck.

"I've done more sales in the week after the 19th than I have the whole year," says Zimmerman, who launched SelwayArmory.com in 2009.

At Lady Liberty Gunsmithing LLC in Atlantic City, N.J., a customer called last week asking if a pistol he wanted was available. When he was told there was only one left, he drove more than two hours from Newark, N.J., to buy it that same day.

"People want guns now even more than ever," says Guy Petinga II, whose father opened the store above his home in 1996.

Others saw demand immediately after the shooting.

Bullet Blocker, which makes bulletproof vests, briefcases and insert panels, saw sales of its children's backpacks suddenly jump.

"That's how I found out about the tragedy. I saw the sales rise and then turned on CNN," says Elmar Uy, vice president of business operations at the Billerica, Mass., company.

Bullet Blocker has sold about 50 to 100 bulletproof backpacks a day since the shooting, up from about 10 to 15 in a regular week. The children's backpacks, which are designed to be used as shields, cost over $200 each.

#51 Muttley85

Muttley85

Belt Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Interesting logic.......if we where I was living was having serious issues with violent gun crime and extreme weather conditions, I would be like ooh shit we need to do something about gun laws and global warming. Guess if I was American the answer to all of this would be to get me a massive gas guzzling pickup that can tow a house and an arsenal of assault weapons.

#52 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostMuttley85, on 29 December 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Interesting logic.......if we where I was living was having serious issues with violent gun crime and extreme weather conditions, I would be like ooh shit we need to do something about gun laws and global warming. Guess if I was American the answer to all of this would be to get me a massive gas guzzling pickup that can tow a house and an arsenal of assault weapons.
The Evil Empire is going down soon.

#53 prodigious1

prodigious1

Box-Jitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,728 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

So, Smel...

Does that mean people are scared shitless?

Or do they want  to be on the teevee, too?

Edited by prodigious1, 29 December 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#54 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

View Postprodigious1, on 29 December 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

So, Smel...

Does that mean people are scared shitless?

Or do they want  to be on the teevee, too?

Dunno... not into guns.

#55 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'm considered to be a redneck by the rest of the country. And the US is considered to be the rednecks of the world. I'm at Ground Zero of Redneckishness.

#56 Muttley85

Muttley85

Belt Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Really?

http://www.thesun.co...er-in-head.html

That guy shooting firemen didn't really put gun ownership in a great light either

#57 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Assault weapons are retarded.  Hunting rifles are awesome.  Hand guns, I don't know what to think of them.  I could be swayed either way.  I own none of these things.

#58 Muttley85

Muttley85

Belt Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Love to stalk deer in the highlands one day and wasted plenty of vermin with a 410 growing up but I'm definitely dumbfounded by people having access to assault weapons and handguns.

#59 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

Watery Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Every meat eater should have to go hunting one time.  It'd get a lot of heads out the sand, people who pompously brag about "never firing a gun maaan," meanwhile these fat fucks are going to fast food chains every other day eating horribly abused animals, and not even enjoying it.  Eating it out of convenience, or habit.  Or wrapping bacon around everything, because it's silly, and the internet does it.  Go hunting one time, you'll respect animals a lot more, and probably eat a lot less meat.  And shut the fuck up about hunting rifles.  Focus on psychos with AK's.  That's my rant on the subject, focused at nobody in particular.

#60 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostOliver, on 03 January 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

Every meat eater should have to go hunting one time.  

Then every smartphone/computer user should go to one Chinese factory camp.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users