208 replies to this topic

#61 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

they certainly did. just because they began the tournament as they finished, playing below their potential and book makers took note, it doesnt mean they didnt underachieve.

#62 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 16 2011, 04:32 AM) View Post

they certainly did. just because they began the tournament as they finished, playing below their potential and book makers took note, it doesnt mean they didnt underachieve.

They made it further than they were expected to. That isn't underachieving.

#63 Chaser

Chaser

Unified Champion

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(boyakasha! @ Mar 15 2011, 07:26 PM) View Post

Blake Griffin has been compared to Larry in a few of the interviews I've seen this year.  Both very explosive.  But Larry had that gold toof, so he is slightly more awesome that Griffin.

The definitely adds to his greatness.  icon14.gif

#64 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

Tommy Hearns did roids, seriously.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 15 2011, 10:46 PM) View Post

youre the guy who brought up coaching. michigan had the most talent in the country that year. a better coach than fisher wouldve taken them to a title. a number one overall draft pick, a top 5 draft pick and another top 15 draft pick.  The earlier michigan teams were talented, that is true, but they managed to actually win a chip.   illinois?  laugh.gif they had gill and nick anderson, but it aint like the had two of the best big men in the nation up front.  riley woulda started at center for them.
around 6'5
as they should have been, considering how michigan barely got past the Bruins and then got gifted against Temple.

Worst fucking post ever.

Marcus Liberty - No. 1 HS player in the country.
Lowell Hamiltion was a top 10 player, Eric Riley was unknown recruit out of St. Joes in Cleveland
Nick Anderson was a top 10-20 player who teamed with Ben Wilson
Kenny Battle was a established player when he transferred to Illinos
Kendall Gill - bigtime recruit
Steve Bardo

You know absolutely nothing about those teams or the Big 10, do yourself a favor and post about a punt return.  Leave this to people who know a little bit.  

As far as winning close games, yeah, so did UNLV vs. Ball State and just about any team that goes far in the tourney.   If you watched any tournament in your lifetime you would know that.

#65 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 16 2011, 06:41 PM) View Post

Worst fucking post ever.

Marcus Liberty - No. 1 HS player in the country.
Lowell Hamiltion was a top 10 player, Eric Riley was unknown recruit out of St. Joes in Cleveland
Nick Anderson was a top 10-20 player who teamed with Ben Wilson
Kenny Battle was a established player when he transferred to Illinos
Kendall Gill - bigtime recruit
Steve Bardo

You know absolutely nothing about those teams or the Big 10, do yourself a favor and post about a punt return.  Leave this to people who know a little bit.  

As far as winning close games, yeah, so did UNLV vs. Ball State and just about any team that goes far in the tourney.   If you watched any tournament in your lifetime you would know that.

if high school recruiting publications were the end all and be all then Id put much more stock in pre season polls for football and basketball.   Liberty was a good shooter who washed out at the next level.   I remember that draft when all the illinois guys got picked, only gill and anderson had any success.  I dont care where Riley went to high school, if he was on that illinois team, he starts at the 5.  Michigan had a very solid center like him coming off the bench, only because they had two superstars up front.  rose at the point became a bigtime NBA player.   add it all together and you have one of the most talented college teams ever to never win a chip.   they're neck and neck with 'cuse

#66 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

One of the most talented teams that didn't win? Sure

Underachievers?  laugh.gif

They made the finals as a 6 seed when they were Freshmen and lost in the finals to the #1 seed in the tournament as Soph's. There isn't an inkling of truth to your statement.

Edited by hateso, 16 March 2011 - 09:42 PM.

#67 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

Treat your mother right!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

I got (13)Belmont to upset (4)Wisconsin tomorrow.  But I'll take the 5 points they're giving.

#68 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(Clubber Lang @ Mar 17 2011, 07:15 AM) View Post

I got (13)Belmont to upset (4)Wisconsin tomorrow.  But I'll take the 5 points they're giving.

If they lose by one, Hester will label Belmont underachievers.

#69 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE(Anytime Hester @ Mar 16 2011, 11:58 PM) View Post

if high school recruiting publications were the end all and be all then Id put much more stock in pre season polls for football and basketball.   Liberty was a good shooter who washed out at the next level.   I remember that draft when all the illinois guys got picked, only gill and anderson had any success.  I dont care where Riley went to high school, if he was on that illinois team, he starts at the 5.  Michigan had a very solid center like him coming off the bench, only because they had two superstars up front.  rose at the point became a bigtime NBA player.   add it all together and you have one of the most talented college teams ever to never win a chip.   they're neck and neck with 'cuse

Lowell Hamilton was a much better player that Riley in college, son.   Because Riley got drafted and got a cup of coffee in the NBA means squat.  Anyone with any bit of knowledge will tell you Hamilton was better.  

In fact, Kenny Battle played about 5 years in the NBA so you must have a short memory.  Liberty played about 4 years in the NBA and had a year where he scored about 9 points which is comparable to what Rumeal Robinson did in the NBA.   So your NBA theory doesn't add up either.  

Flyin' Illini lost one or 2 games during the season and killed Michigan TWICE in the regular season, breezed through the Big 10, then choked.  Sorry Illinois fan, the Illini that got skullfucked were the biggest chokers.

QUOTE(hateso @ Mar 17 2011, 02:55 AM) View Post

If they lose by one, Hester will label Belmont underachievers.

Hester's college basketball knowledge is  692im5.gif  

But he knows punt returns.

#70 pocoroba

pocoroba

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Jerry West (W Va) and Tim Hardaway (Michigan) both have sons playing in the tourney.  wtf isn't Jerry West like 80?

#71 DJA

DJA

Building a working margin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

The Fab Five became overachievers as freshman the moment they knocked out a damn good Ohio State team in the tournament.  #1 seeded Buckeyes had Jackson, Jent, Funderburke, Baker, Lee and Brown and the first four of them played in the NBA.

I still hate those fuckers but they were the truth.  Show me another team that ever started five freshman, much less everything they achieved?

This Clemson - W.Va game is nice

Poco, Jerry West is a G, that's why   icon14.gif

#72 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

I have Louisville in the Final Four. Granted, I haven't watched a game all year. But this ass whipping they are taking needs to turn around.

#73 pocoroba

pocoroba

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

Louisville OUT

what a tourney so far, 3 of the first 4 games come down to the last second!

#74 Anytime Hester

Anytime Hester

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

fernandez!

#75 boner

boner

resident anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

great game and finish b/w Kentucky and Princeton

#76 Mike Quartey

Mike Quartey

OKAY JIM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Vegas is great this weekend. Lost $100 on ODU and won $100 on Richmond. Taking Bucknell, Wofford, and Gonzaga tonight

drinking.gif  drinking.gif  drinking.gif

#77 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

I've hit every game but 1, and it cost me a Final Four.

#78 KingofCrunk

KingofCrunk

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

I missed on the Louisville game but I had them losing to Richmond in the next round anyway. The only team playing tonight I really can't afford to lose is Utah St. Maybe St. John's too as I expected them to pull off the typical Lavin Sweet 16 appearance.

Edited by KingofCrunk, 17 March 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#79 pocoroba

pocoroba

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

the night games stank, except Mich St almost coming back

i took the whole day off Friday, i will be fucked by the start of the Nova game (2:10)

#80 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(pocoroba @ Mar 17 2011, 11:50 PM) View Post

the night games stank, except Mich St almost coming back

i took the whole day off Friday, i will be fucked by the start of the Nova game (2:10)

The most frightening thing I have seen is Leslie Visser, what the fuck did she do to her face?  My goodness.

#81 dread

dread

I want the angel

• The VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(DetroitMex @ Mar 17 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Lowell Hamilton was a much better player that Riley in college, son.   Because Riley got drafted and got a cup of coffee in the NBA means squat.  Anyone with any bit of knowledge will tell you Hamilton was better.  

In fact, Kenny Battle played about 5 years in the NBA so you must have a short memory.  Liberty played about 4 years in the NBA and had a year where he scored about 9 points which is comparable to what Rumeal Robinson did in the NBA.   So your NBA theory doesn't add up either.  

Flyin' Illini lost one or 2 games during the season and killed Michigan TWICE in the regular season, breezed through the Big 10, then choked.  Sorry Illinois fan, the Illini that got skullfucked were the biggest chokers.
Hester's college basketball knowledge is  692im5.gif  

But he knows punt returns.

Illini didn't even win the Big Ten that year -- Indiana did -- and they certainly lost more than 1 or 2 games.  Bob Knight was crying up and down about how Illinois got a 1 seed and he didn't.  Perhaps you have 2005 mixed up with 1989.  

I don't think they really choked in the final four.  They played flat and lost by a bucket.   Maybe that is a choke.  But it's not like Michigan  sucked and lost in the finals.  

Hey, if you ever need someone who knows something about Big Ten basketball, let me know.

#82 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE(dread @ Mar 18 2011, 01:01 AM) View Post

Illini didn't even win the Big Ten that year -- Indiana did -- and they certainly lost more than 1 or 2 games.  Bob Knight was crying up and down about how Illinois got a 1 seed and he didn't.  Perhaps you have 2005 mixed up with 1989.  

I don't think they really choked in the final four.  They played flat and lost by a bucket.   Maybe that is a choke.  But it's not like Michigan  sucked and lost in the finals.  

Hey, if you ever need someone who knows something about Big Ten basketball, let me know.

You are right, I forgot about Indiana.  If I remember correctly, Illinois lost the Wisconsin game that cost them the conference.  

Michigan was Illinois' bitch during the regular season, they won both games by double digits.  Kendall Gill said in an interview that they were overconfident and didn't think Michigan could beat them.  

As far as not winning the big 10, neither did the Fab 5.   If you use Hester's logic, that Illini team underachieved and choked.  

The Flyin' Illini team was the best Big 10 team I have ever seen, and I started following closely in 83.  

#83 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

I got 13 of 16 games yesterday.  I had Louisville and Utah State both making it into the Sweet 16, so that hurts a little.  I thought Missouri would win their opener.

I'm hearing Arkansas is going after Mike Anderson now that Pelphrey is out as head coach.  Hope the Hogs can get him.

#84 DetroitMex

DetroitMex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

Go Hampton!

#85 Wally Hopkins

Wally Hopkins

Contender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

It would be cool to see Duke lose to hbcu.

#86 Muttley85

Muttley85

Belt Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

whats the deal with BYU, do you have to be a mormon to go there or is it just run by them and traditionally for them?

#87 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(Muttley85 @ Mar 18 2011, 03:11 PM) View Post

whats the deal with BYU, do you have to be a mormon to go there or is it just run by them and traditionally for them?

Don't have to be Mormon but you have to agree to follow a code of conduct which reflects Mormon values/rules.

#88 Muttley85

Muttley85

Belt Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE(boyakasha! @ Mar 18 2011, 11:18 PM) View Post

Don't have to be Mormon but you have to agree to follow a code of conduct which reflects Mormon values/rules.

icon14.gif

cheers

#89 leee

leee

Shut the F*** up Leee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

How did Jim McMahon survive there?

#90 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(leee @ Mar 18 2011, 03:28 PM) View Post

How did Jim McMahon survive there?

He probably lived with a "host family."  Some of the athletes who are new to the Mormon way of life (no drugs, alcohol, caffeine, sex, masturbation, etc.) are encouraged to live with a local Mormon family while they become adjusted to the code of conduct.  The family provides guidance and basically acts as a 24/7 chaperone to keep the athlete away from things that will get him expelled.

I think they still have host families at BYU.  The last time I paid much attention to them was when Ty Detmer was their QB.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users