Jump to content





if your golden boy lay out a plan for canelo and mayweather 2014

mayweather canelo goldenboy 2014

27 replies to this topic

#1 pcaz23

pcaz23

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:dirty jerz
  • Interests:obviously boxing, mets baseball/yankee hater/knick hater/jordan fanatic/

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Being that Floyd was so dominant, this may have actually hurt Showtime. The casual fan does not want to want to see Mayweather in the ring unless its someone they think will beat him. Right now the consensus is that there is no one to give him any challenge. This eliminates any interest to watch Floyd from the casual fan. So where do you go from here?   I propose   ........ .,,   ... Mayweather fights winner of alexander vs Kahn.. Garcia on the undercard facing broner vs Maidana.. all this in May.....coming back with the winners facing each other in Sept. All this with intentions on getting a broner vs mayweather fight.. Student vs teacher. then for Canelo...lots of big fights for him..back in may fighting a Cotto or if Goldenboy can get a lara vs trout fight soon ..winner fights Canelo....... ...or they can go the old route by pairing canelo and Floyd on the same cards to boost ppv #s  ....... the more I think about floyds situation, I hate to say it but  he may need a many paqiou ...who else will casual fans want to see him fight? neither guy last night gained new fans. imo.....btw why cant I use the fukin enter button .. lol whats your 1 yr or 2yr plan if you were golden boy

#2 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

    All Time Great

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anywhere Kobe Bryant isn't
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

That's a mistake people keep making. 'Hard core' fans are the ones hell bent on Floyd losing, a lot of casual fans cheer him on.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to see Canelo again, that was his least competitive fight since Baldomir. I agree with him fighting Khan if he beats Alexander, but I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd wants to avenge his little buddies ass whipping at the hands of Maidana first. So I'll go Maidana & Khan for next year.

Not that GBP has much to do with it, CBS is on the hook for the dough.

#3 pcaz23

pcaz23

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:dirty jerz
  • Interests:obviously boxing, mets baseball/yankee hater/knick hater/jordan fanatic/

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 15 September 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

That's a mistake people keep making. 'Hard core' fans are the ones hell bent on Floyd losing, a lot of casual fans cheer him on.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to see Canelo again, that was his least competitive fight since Baldomir. I agree with him fighting Khan if he beats Alexander, but I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd wants to avenge his little buddies ass whipping at the hands of Maidana first. So I'll go Maidana & Khan for next year.

Not that GBP has much to do with it, CBS is on the hook for the dough.
do you think that the casual fan will be willing to pay to watch Floyd though? Me personally I enjoy watching him dominate. Last night was the equivalent of watching a dominate  pedro Martinez on the mound ... fast ball curveball change ups etc  Beautiful shit...enjoying it while it lasts. As for canelo , I think golden boy can still build his name or put him in big fights. Not ppv star power though. (as they hoped) They need damage control

Edited by pcaz23, 15 September 2013 - 05:33 PM.


#4 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

    All Time Great

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anywhere Kobe Bryant isn't
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

View Postpcaz23, on 15 September 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

do you think that the casual fan will be willing to pay to watch Floyd though? Me personally I enjoy watching him dominate. Last night was the equivalent of watching a dominate  pedro Martinez on the mound ... fast ball curveball change ups etc  Beautiful shit...enjoying it while it lasts. As for canelo , I think golden boy can still build his name or put him in big fights. Not ppv star power though. (as they hoped) They need damage control

Of course they will, they love him.

Canelo is the most popular Boxer from a viewing stand point in Mexican history. There is plenty of star power there. By the end of your plan he'll be a Super Middleweight.

As for damage control, I'm quite sure Marco Rubio is available.

#5 Oliver's Tears

Oliver's Tears

    Watery Balls

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NY

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postpcaz23, on 15 September 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

do you think that the casual fan will be willing to pay to watch Floyd though?

People ask this after every fight.  Nothing has changed.

#6 pcaz23

pcaz23

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:dirty jerz
  • Interests:obviously boxing, mets baseball/yankee hater/knick hater/jordan fanatic/

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostOliver, on 15 September 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

People ask this after every fight.  Nothing has changed.
true...but the whole many pacqiou thing was somewhat a factor or long layoffs..sometimes the less of something the better. if that makes any sense

#7 ScotTheRoc

ScotTheRoc

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:FL

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Golden Boy get Canelo a title fight with Carlos Molina.

#8 Smelodies

Smelodies

    Rootsy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 15 September 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

That's a mistake people keep making. 'Hard core' fans are the ones hell bent on Floyd losing, a lot of casual fans cheer him on.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to see Canelo again, that was his least competitive fight since Baldomir. I agree with him fighting Khan if he beats Alexander, but I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd wants to avenge his little buddies ass whipping at the hands of Maidana first.

No way Maidana gets a decision over Broner. He'd have to knock him out to win.

#9 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

    All Time Great

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anywhere Kobe Bryant isn't
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostSmelodies, on 15 September 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

No way Maidana gets a decision over Broner. He'd have to knock him out to win.

He can dominate him too hard to get screwed, like Floyd did to Canelo. Obviously more violently. Your "no ways" have a poor track record Smels, he'll be up against it on the cards but he's going to kick his ass. No doubt about that.

#10 Smelodies

Smelodies

    Rootsy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 16 September 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:



He can dominate him too hard to get screwed, like Floyd did to Canelo.

No chance. Preposterous analogy, by the way.

#11 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

    All Time Great

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anywhere Kobe Bryant isn't
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostSmelodies, on 16 September 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

No chance. Preposterous analogy, by the way.

Ouch, based on your history I don't even think you know what an analogy is. That was a perfect example.

#12 walk with me

walk with me

    Contender

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

i wouldn't mid seeing Garcia vs Berto as Garcia's first touch @ 147. (if its possible)

maybe something like this. Floyd waits for the winner of alexander vs khan & takes them
Garcias takes on berto @ 147 to set up the fight vs floyd... I would prefer not to see them fight cause i like the both of them but the biz is the biz.


as far as Canelo goes. he didn't take a bad beating vs floyd. Setting up an easy tune up for a cotto showdown would be a nice look if possible.

#13 Smelodies

Smelodies

    Rootsy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

View Postwalk with me, on 16 September 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

i wouldn't mid seeing Garcia vs Berto as Garcia's first touch @ 147. (if its possible)


They gotta find a new Berto.

#14 walk with me

walk with me

    Contender

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostSmelodies, on 16 September 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

They gotta find a new Berto.

you wouldn't like berto as a light touch for DG @ 147?

#15 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

    All Time Great

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anywhere Kobe Bryant isn't
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

View Postwalk with me, on 16 September 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

you wouldn't like berto as a light touch for DG @ 147?

Hell no, he can fight Soto Karass though.

#16 Bone Marrow

Bone Marrow

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 15 September 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

That's a mistake people keep making. 'Hard core' fans are the ones hell bent on Floyd losing, a lot of casual fans cheer him on.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to see Canelo again, that was his least competitive fight since Baldomir. I agree with him fighting Khan if he beats Alexander, but I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd wants to avenge his little buddies ass whipping at the hands of Maidana first. So I'll go Maidana & Khan for next year.

Not that GBP has much to do with it, CBS is on the hook for the dough.

Hang on a sec this gets me confused. I thought the genius of Floyd was that he realized hate sells better than love and that his PPV numbers are based on people wanting to see him lose? And the hardcore fanbase counts for zilch in a Floyd PPV.

I thought you had said similar things in the past.

#17 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

    All Time Great

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anywhere Kobe Bryant isn't
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostBone Marrow, on 17 September 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

Hang on a sec this gets me confused. I thought the genius of Floyd was that he realized hate sells better than love and that his PPV numbers are based on people wanting to see him lose? And the hardcore fanbase counts for zilch in a Floyd PPV.

I thought you had said similar things in the past.

I have and it does. That doesn't mean everyone buying his fights wants him to lose. He has a lot of casual fans.

#18 Monzon

Monzon

    Monzon

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Location:The Dirty City

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostYellowLorrySlow, on 15 September 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Of course they will, they love him.

Canelo is the most popular Boxer from a viewing stand point in Mexican history. There is plenty of star power there. By the end of your plan he'll be a Super Middleweight.

As for damage control, I'm quite sure Marco Rubio is available.

Isn't Rubio with Top Rank?  And he has this habit of upsetting apple carts around 160.  I'm not so sure GBP wants to put Canelo in with a guy like him.  K-9 might be just what the doctor ordered.  I've heard some mention Molina, who I think would be an aweful choice.  A Trout rematch is dangerous too given how narrowly Canelo escaped the first time.  And Lara is an absolute no no.  I guess there is Angulo too, but when Angulo is on I think he could probably hurt Canelo.  Again, first fight back I'm not sure GBP wants something like that.

For Mayweather, hard to say where he goes from here.  I think some of that will depend on how well this weekend's pay per view actually sold.

#19 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

    All Time Great

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anywhere Kobe Bryant isn't
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostMonzon, on 17 September 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Isn't Rubio with Top Rank?  And he has this habit of upsetting apple carts around 160.  I'm not so sure GBP wants to put Canelo in with a guy like him.  K-9 might be just what the doctor ordered.  I've heard some mention Molina, who I think would be an aweful choice.  A Trout rematch is dangerous too given how narrowly Canelo escaped the first time.  And Lara is an absolute no no.  I guess there is Angulo too, but when Angulo is on I think he could probably hurt Canelo.  Again, first fight back I'm not sure GBP wants something like that.

For Mayweather, hard to say where he goes from here.  I think some of that will depend on how well this weekend's pay per view actually sold.

You're probably right about Rubio. I thought they just kind of used him for Chavez. I know he was pissed about the drug testing fiasco, so i assumed he was on his own and just had an option with TR if he won.

#20 DJA

DJA

    Building a working margin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Canelo is still going to be huge in Mexico.  I don't know whether he chooses to fight on Mexican TV against a soft touch or two, or if he goes back onto Showtime against a reasonable opponent.  As mediocre as he is, I think anybody in the top 10 at 154-160 is a serious threat to derail him, except for Ishe, so that's who I expect to see him in with next.

#21 browerkid

browerkid

    Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I wanna see Floyd vs Lara in May...and Floyd vs GGG in September...that would be awesome.  :)  .....I will settle on anyone not named Amir Khan.  What a useless fight.  Floyd would get his KO.

#22 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

    Contender

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Canelo- get destroyed by Pac then retire

Floyd- Get destroyed by Pac then retire

#23 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

    Contender

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postbrowerkid, on 20 September 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

I wanna see Floyd vs Lara in May...and Floyd vs GGG in September...that would be awesome.  :)  .....I will settle on anyone not named Amir Khan.  What a useless fight.  Floyd would get his KO.

I don't think Floyd will ever fight Lara. He is also too small for MW and I don't know why people keep mentioning Golovkin's name. Mayweather is not one of those boxers who would go for some crazy challenge. He has already achieved some extraordinary stuff and can easily(by his standard) make 10s of millions whoever he chooses to fight. There's no reason that will compel him to fight Golvkin or other middleweights. I just don't see any names that excite me as possible opponent for Floyd at this moment.

#24 RayTheBest

RayTheBest

    Contender

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostJaxamillian, on 20 September 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

Canelo- get destroyed by Pac then retire

Floyd- Get destroyed by Pac then retire

Hey, Jaxa. Let's wait a while and see how Manny is right now. If he is as good as he was in Bradley or JMM fights, he will beat and possibly even knock out Rios, I believe. If not, we'll just have to accept the fact that Manny's career as an elite fighter is over. I have no idea how he is now, but one thing that gives me hope is that Freddie Roach hasn't said anything bad about Manny's condition yet as far as I know, so at least Roach must be thinking that Pac is alright.

#25 Jaxamillian

Jaxamillian

    Contender

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostRayTheBest, on 20 September 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Hey, Jaxa. Let's wait a while and see how Manny is right now. If he is as good as he was in Bradley or JMM fights, he will beat and possibly even knock out Rios, I believe. If not, we'll just have to accept the fact that Manny's career as an elite fighter is over. I have no idea how he is now, but one thing that gives me hope is that Freddie Roach hasn't said anything bad about Manny's condition yet as far as I know, so at least Roach must be thinking that Pac is alright.

I seen pac training, the hand speed is still there. The only question is the chin.

#26 macmax

macmax

    Tomato Can

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

GGG said he would make 154. But we all know FM will not take that fight cause he would die.
His little pot shots will not stop a beast like ggg and if he does shoulder roll, he will have no shoulder when GG lands one shot on F.

#27 Monzon

Monzon

    Monzon

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Location:The Dirty City

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

View Postmacmax, on 03 October 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

GGG said he would make 154. But we all know FM will not take that fight cause he would die.
His little pot shots will not stop a beast like ggg and if he does shoulder roll, he will have no shoulder when GG lands one shot on F.

Floyd vs. Golovkin wouldn't be any crazier than Napoles fighting Monzon, Duran fighting Hagler, Ezzard Charles fighting Jersey Joe Walcott, or Archie Moor fighting any number of HWs.  There's plenty of other examples of smaller men taking on tougher bigger guys than Golovkin.  This isn't to say that Golovkin isn't a bad mo fo.  But has he shown himself to be on Monzon or Hagler's level?  Nope.  The real problems with that fight are (a) Floyd won't make it and (B) Golovkin is on HBO.

To be honest, I don't think anyone is really clammoring for a Floyd-Golovkin fight either.  It would be a very ballsy move to make the fight, but I don't know what it would do for Floyd other than show he's a ballsy mo fo.

If Floyd is going to make a fight at MW, the logical choice is Martinez.  The wheels are clearly coming off that race car and Martinez is looking more and more vulnerable.  That's a winnable fight and one that would have some historical significance.  It would be the crowning achievement of Floyd's career.  And even though Martinez is not a natural 160 lbr, he's past his best and isn't all that well known outside of boxing's hard-core, it would still be a very marketable fight because it's Floyd fighting for "THE LINEAL MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE."  I don't think that fight will happen, but it's a far more likely option than Golovkin.

As for Lara, I think he would [pesent problems for Floyd.  But I don't think that would be a fun fight to watch.  In fact, it would probably suck in terms of action.  I don't see Floyd looking to fight an unknown southpaw jr. middleweight with no real fan base of his own who might make him look bad (even if Floyd were to win).

#28 YellowLorrySlow

YellowLorrySlow

    All Time Great

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anywhere Kobe Bryant isn't
  • Interests:Making a fool of YOU!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sergio ain't a 'natural' anything, but he's damn sure a Middleweight. He's bigger than Hagler.



Reply to this topic



  



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mayweather, canelo, goldenboy, 2014

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users