9 replies to this topic

#1 ScotTheRoc

ScotTheRoc

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

I'm looking at gettiing a laptop.  I checked out some Dells and Levovos, but one our sales guys told me to look into getting a Macbook.  Anyone here use one?

I have pretty much only used Dell desktops, but a lot of my friends/co-workers own both laptops and macs.  What are some of the differences between the two?  I mean, if I switched over to a mac, is there a steep learning curve?  Are they that much better than Windows-based computers?

I looked at a Dell XPS and one of the Lenovo Thinkpads, but when I compared those with a Macbook Pro with similar specs, the price of the Mac was well over $2000.  Sweet Mother O' Fuck!!!

Are they that much better?  Are they worth their prices?  What am I missing?

#2 boyakasha!

boyakasha!

My mother has encouraged me to render you unconscious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts
  • Location:Trying to decide which is the superior movie... Tommy Boy or Black Sheep?

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Have you asked your friends/coworkers? The ones who own those gadgets? There are people on this messageboard who will steer you in the wrong direction just so they can get their jollies by making you burn your loot on something that's bullshit. Be careful, mate.

#3 ScotTheRoc

ScotTheRoc

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

View Postboyakasha!, on 13 December 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

Have you asked your friends/coworkers? The ones who own those gadgets? There are people on this messageboard who will steer you in the wrong direction just so they can get their jollies by making you burn your loot on something that's bullshit. Be careful, mate.

Thanks, dude.  I've asked them, but their answers vary.  Some of them sound like they are in an Apple TV ad and say 'it just works'.  My response to them was 'So does my computer.  What the fuck does that mean?'

Others have told me that the mac's hardware and operating system is superior.  Supposedly they are more 'intuitive' and don't get viruses.

Fair enough, I guess.  But they all seem to also run Windows on their machines.  I guess this is what confuses me the most.  Why would anyone pay $2k - $3 on a machine that runs Windows anyway?

I probably answered my own question.

#4 SM2006

SM2006

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'd recommend mac. They're not perfect, but after years of daily annoyance and frustration from me vs Windows switching to mac has been a welcome change. If you have no real problem with windows, and are thinking about the budget, then maybe stick to windows. But if like me you feckin' despise having to sit round waiting for the hourglass icon because you dared to click something, or having to constantly do updates and battle spyware on a daily basis, and you can afford it, then give apple a try.

The OS is more intuitive to use, and personally I like the more uniform look the software has. And there's piece of mind from a security point of view. Just simple stuff like installing a printer or burning a cd is all really easy, and not a complete ball ache like it can be on windows.

Edited by SM2006, 14 December 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#5 SpontaneousFury

SpontaneousFury

That guy.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

View PostScotTheRoc, on 13 December 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Thanks, dude.  I've asked them, but their answers vary.  Some of them sound like they are in an Apple TV ad and say 'it just works'.  My response to them was 'So does my computer.  What the fuck does that mean?'

Others have told me that the mac's hardware and operating system is superior.  Supposedly they are more 'intuitive' and don't get viruses.

Fair enough, I guess.  But they all seem to also run Windows on their machines.  I guess this is what confuses me the most.  Why would anyone pay $2k - $3 on a machine that runs Windows anyway?

I probably answered my own question.

I think the answer would be, it depends. I can understand why some don't like Windows, it is laden with issues. In terms of functionality, Windows is not compatible with a lot of the software that I use, though that doesn't mean I need a Mac either. Mac OS is derived from Unix, so too is Linux though, which is the operating system that I prefer to use. Linux is open source and I believe some versions have interefaces that are a little easier to use for the average person. In fact I've heard they are somewhat like Mac OS X. Macs are ok, their operating system is preferable to Windows IMV but in terms of the hype? I think they are trendy more than anything, not necessarily worth the extra money.

#6 Smelodies

Smelodies

Rootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,738 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I never used an Apple product in my life until I got the iPhone. Now I wonder what I've missed out on all these years.

#7 Wiggles

Wiggles

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

love the physical design features on the macbook, like the trackpad and magnetic power cord.  hate the OS.  I don't get ppl who say macs somehow "just work" and windows is a pain.  I always have the opposite reaction.  every app/game I ever want to run just works w/ windows, whereas I'm lucky if there is an apple version.  I want to burn that stupid spinning beachball.  specs wise, you're get twice the computer for the same price going w/ windows.

but hey, you never said what you want to use the computer for.  if it's just for web, I'd just spend $250 for a chromebook and save the money left over for something else.

#8 BoBilo

BoBilo

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

If you are a hipster/artist/teenage girl, get a Macbook.

#9 ScotTheRoc

ScotTheRoc

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

I appreciate all your responses.  What I was hoping to do was get a laptop powerful enough to replace a desktop, yet be able to take it on the road.  Usage would half the time in my home office, and half the time on-the-go.  Is this realistic, or should I have one of both?

I've always used desktops, but I'll admit I'm not really computer savvy.  I got infected with a virus once that damaged some files.  I also purchased one of those pc 'optimizers' that totally fucked up my hard drive and I lost almost everything.

I use Prevx for virus protection.  I stopped by one of our Apple stores and the sales guy said Macs don't get viruses at all...no need to install antivirus.  I think that's just sales hype, but if true then Apple really owns a small piece of the marktet that hackers don't want to bother with.

Anyway, still researching.

#10 SM2006

SM2006

Tomato Can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

You dont need AV with a mac, the OS is designed different to windows and is inherently secure. For me its one of the bigger wins, not having to worry about viruses, trojans etc.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users